Help with mold without using chlorine

Michaelrgarrett

In The Industry
May 29, 2021
Sacramento
I own a tub that is only 80 gallons that I keep at 50 degrees. It has ozone, UV and constant filtration with a 5 micron filter. I want to keep the water clean without chlorine or bromine and am having issues with algae and mold. The protocol I was given was just hydrogen peroxide. I’m curious, what some of you recommend as a protocol? Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael, welcome to TFP! :wave: Is there a particular reason you wish to avoid chlorine altogether? Sanitation is a big issue even for a hot tub. Please update your signature with all of your tub details. See my signature as an example. When is the last time you did a 100% water exchange? Have you ever purged the system with Ahh-Some? I'm going to tap @Donldson for some chemistry lingo as well. Just in case you haven't seen them yet, the two links below apply to you.

Well, to put it succinctly: what you are doing is not sanitary if there's more than one person in the tub. You are not leaving any residual sanitizer in the water and you have no way to verify that the UV and ozone are working at any given time. Peroxide (why is that ok but chlorine isn't?) isn't going to do much unless you put so much in that the water burns when you get in. Algae and mold are growing because there's nothing in there to stop them. That's a major red flag as to the quality of the water.

The truth is that the only protocol we can give you is to start managing your water in a sanitary manner. It is incredibly easy to maintain safe and comfortable water quality when using chlorine, it would be negligent of me to make recommendations on a system that neither makes the water safe from pathogens nor clears the water of plant life. I know that's not the answer you came here for, but it is the right one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.