Jun 15, 2017
Macomb Twp.
Current numbers are
CYA 50
FC 10
CC 0
PH LESS THAN 7
TA 100

This is my 2nd year with our new pool. Using BBB. The PH has always been low and I can raise it with borax. But it always goes back down. Should just raise it and see where the TA goes? Should I be concerned about higher TA? I don't have an efficient way to aireate the water. Do I need to invest in something to aireate to make the water more balanced?

Something is off here. Your pH shouldn't be dropping if your TA is that high. Especially if you are chlorinating with liquid chlorine.

If you could I would like you to try an experiment for me. Do the TA test again but before each drop of R-0009 wipe the tip of the dropper with a tissue. I want to see if that changes your TA reading.

If I'm not wrong, if FC 10 and over or over 10, PH test results are not reliable. have you tested while your FC lower than 10?
also, Have you tested right after adding borax like 2 hours and seen your PH over 7 ?

Do you use dichlor or trichlor at all?

Something doesn't make sense.

With a TA at 100, the pH is not going to go down unless you're adding something acidic like trichlor, cyanuric acid or dichlor.

Is your fill water low in TA and pH?

With a TA of 100, the pH is not going to fall without something acidic being added. Maybe try new reagents. Check all procedures for test error. Make sure that sample containers are clean.

What are the pH and TA of the fill water?

I did get a refill kit last month. Havn't replace all reagents from last year yet.
I do have a question though. The 0004 I have now says residential use and 0014 came in the kit says commercial use. Any difference? Should I order the 0004 or does the 0014 work the same?

I have not used the 0014 yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will check fill water and pool water this afternoon. TA always seemed to stay the same last year and I just left PH low most of the time. I had a good handle on the CC last year so I want to get better with this part this year. These are the first numbers from this year but it was the same last year.

The only way that the TA can remain constant while the pH drops is if a weak acid is added. Cyanuric acid is the only weak acid that is generally added to pools. Some people use carbon dioxide to lower pH without lowering the TA.

I did get a refill kit last month. Havn't replace all reagents from last year yet.
I do have a question though. The 0004 I have now says residential use and 0014 came in the kit says commercial use. Any difference? Should I order the 0004 or does the 0014 work the same?

I have not used the 0014 yet.

The R-0004 goes with the below.

Amazon.com : Taylor 9056 Chlorine and Bromine DPD Comparator Replacement for Taylor 2000 Series : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Garden Outdoor

61uT6-08yxL._SL1000_.jpg

Tested fill water today.
PH is 7.2
TA is 80

Pool water
CYA between 30-40
CC 0
FC 10
PH below 7
TA 100

So I took a look at the stabilizer I used and it says 100% cyanuric acid. Is this correct or is this the cause of my problem?

If it is, what is the best way to fix it?

Last edited:
That stabilizer is fine. Stabilizer is slight acidic and will cause a temporary pH drop.

Do you have any way to aerate the water... water feature or point9ng returns in pool upward to make return water break the surface? This should cause the pH to rise.

You can add some borax - yeah, the 20 mule team stuff - to raise the pH without driving TA up too much. Use PoolMath to figure out the quantity needed.

With a FC of 0 you need to get some bleach in that water ASAP.

So I aireate the water with the return jet during the run cycle over the last couple days then I let it run most of the day today while the automatic cleaner did it's thing for the first time this year. The PH is now 7.8. Now that I know I can effectively raise the PH by aireate the water I may try to get the TA down now. I will monitor the the ph for a couple days to see of it changes much before making any other changes. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.