Help with Jandy Valve

bill2

Apr 5, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Hello,

I have a very basic understanding of the purpose of this valve/diverter. I am referring to the valve in front of the pump. Right on the zoomed out picture.

I can't read any of the settings (worn off) and really don't understand the operation as it relates to my pool.

My pool is fairly basic. 1 main drain, 1 skimmer, 3 jets, and a pressure port for the cleaner. No spa. Hayward cartridge filter.

Does anyone have a picture of this exact valve without the writing worn off or the model info so I can find directions?

It's been in this position since I bought the house and I was curious what the adjustments would do.

Thanks

2017-07-07 14.12.08-1.jpg2017-07-07 14.11.57-1.jpg

One direction is your skimmer, the other your main drain. It is likely set for skimming action with a little bit of drain. Move it to the other direction and check that the skimmer is off. Put it back the way it was and label the pipes.

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I have. Do you normally need to apply a lot of force to turn it? It appears you press down on the handle to lift the opposite end so it can rotate but mine won't budge. It looks like I can remove this with a few screws to take a look. I'd hate to break this given that a replacement is $86.

I've been fighting what I think is abnormal pressure (now ~5 psi but I recall it over 10 psi when I moved in) and all of the normal things to check in the archive threads haven't worked. Full disclosure, I have not used a plumbers snake anywhere yet but have checked the pump propeller. Not trying to derail the thread here but any chance a worn out gasket or o-ring in this part of the pool could be a suspect?

So far, everything I have touched on this pool appears to be worn/dried out and needed replacement. All gaskets/o-rings for the cartridge filter assembly, the plastic filter top itself was warped to my surprise, had a bad pressure gauge, pump basket gasket replaced, cartridge filter was falling apart, etc... AFAICT, the previous owner didn't even have a working manual vacuum and the polaris 360 did not work. Everything left behind was total junk.

I would take it apart and clean and lubricate it.

If the cartridge is clean, your pressure is probably correct.

What is the horsepower and service factor of the motor?

It's a 1HP with a SF of 1.1. My pool is somewhere between 12K-13K gallons. UST1102 looks to be the part number. I've been meaning to figure out how efficient this pump is to figure out if it's a big addition to my power bill. I imagine it's quite old.

On the valve, I'll take it apart as you recommended. I might try to see what rubber components can be replaced while I am in there.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Taking it apart worked. I can turn it now. The main o-ring was good (replaced anyway) but my kit did not include a square gasket that goes around the diverter. Mine is broken apart and malformed. I need to get a new one.

However, when I direct all the suction to come from the skimmer, I get air bubbles in the pump basket. If I direct it 1 or 2 turns to mix in the main drain the air bubbles go away. I tried to bleed the air out from the filter but it did not help.

Does that mean I have a leak or obstruction somewhere from the skimmer to the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.