DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
This morning I noticed that my Aqua Pod was flashing “check system” at the top. I watched the main screen as it went through its normal routine, but it never tells me what the problem is. I just cleaned my filters and salt cell last week and reset the timer, so it shouldn’t be that. Salt level is 3000, so I know it isn’t low salt. When I go outside to the actual Pro Logic box, the check system light is off. Only the Aqua Pod is flashing “check system”. How do I figure out what the problem is?

Thank you! So when I go through the diagnostic menu, this is what I see:
1) Chlorinator off, percentage met
2) Instant salt, 0000 PPM (+=save) <————?!?
3) Flow Switch, Flow
4) Cell Temp Sensor, 59 degrees F
5) Water Sensor, 62 degrees F
6) Air sensor, 58 degrees F
7) Main Software, Revision 4.46
8) Display Software, AquaPod r1.05
9) RF Base Software, r3.00 ID:0927

I’m thinking the instant salt is the problem? When it cycles through the regular info when it just sits in the base station, it says salt is 3000ppm. I just did a Taylor K-1766 salt test and my results were 3400ppm. My salt test kit is 4years old, do those reagents go bad? Maybe I should order a new test kit or take a sample to the pool store to be certain. That still doesn’t explain the discrepancy between the salt readings. Why would the instant salt reading be 0000ppm?

Or does it just say 0000 because the chlorinator is off (percentage met)? Maybe the salt level will register once it kicks back on?

Go to the diagnostic screen, note the readings and then press the + button to reverse the polarity.

When the new numbers appear, see what they are.

Then, press + again and note the new readings.

The salinity reading at 2,600 ppm will cause a check system light.

What cell size do you have?

How old is the cell?

Are you measuring the salinity with a K-1766 salt test kit?

If you go to the default screen and press the > button multiple times, what are the readings?

If the cell is old (over 5 years), it might be reading the salinity incorrectly.

You should verify the actual salinity with a K-1766 salt test kit.

At 500 hours, an "Inspect Cell" notice will come up.

If you see the "Inspect Cell" notice, you can clear it by pressing the + button.

Periodically, check the cell for scale and clean if necessary, but only if necessary.

Pressing the > from the main screen gives me:
Salt Level 2900ppm (it was reading 3000ppm earlier this morning)
Heater1 Auto control
Friday/time
pool temp 63 degrees
air temp 63 degrees
pool chlorinator 55%

salt cell (T-9) is just over 4 years old
My salt test with the k-1766 was 3400ppm
My inspect cell was just cleared/reset last week when I cleaned both the filter cartridges and the cell. The cell only had slight bubbling for approx 2 minutes and then I rinsed it well as soon as it finished.

What causes the salt reading to vary in the different polarity? -2600 vs +2900

The performance percentage of each polarity can be determined by dividing the instant salinity by the actual salinity.

2,600 ÷ 3,400 = 76.4%

2,900 ÷3,400 = 85.3%

At 75%, I usually recommend that the cell be replaced. You can increase the salinity or change the cell type to T-5 in configuration to get a little bit more life out of the cell.

Are you still getting a "Check System" notice?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, check system is still flashing. So I guess ”check system“ is flashing because my cell is reaching the end of its life? My chlorine level is still sufficient, so I guess I will wait until it doesn’t seem to be keeping up anymore, and then I will replace it with the T-15. Thank you for your help.

Usually, the "Check System" won't come on until the average salinity reading is 2,700 ppm or lower.

I don't think that the instant salinity reading will cause the Check System notice.

I'm not sure what the "Check System" notice is for.

Maybe change the cell type to T-5 in configuration to see if that helps.

If the "Check System" light is on, there will be a notice in the readings.

So, you're missing something. Go through the readings and diagnostics again to find the error notice.

It does seem like I am still missing something. I find it odd that check system is flashing on the pod, but does not give any specific error notice. The check system light on the box itself is NOT lit. I may need to call Hayward and have them troubleshoot with me.

Rebooting the pod successfully got rid of the “check system” flashing and it seems to be operating normally. I have a newer version of the pod, so I actually had to turn the charging dock over and swipe the pod charging pins across the bottom right corner, but it did work. I still have no idea why it saying check system in the first place, but at least it went away. For now. Thanks so much for all your help, JamesW.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.