Help with first SLAM

I would say your initial test for the CYA level was off and that is why it took so long to pass all three requirements of SLAMming. You might want to lower the CYA now by draining or wait until next season if you plan on closing the pool soon. Either way, make sure you follow the FC/CYA guide recommendations.

Ping - That is exactly what I was thinking last night. I'm certain that must be the case and why it took so long.

Linen - I still can't remember, but the big discrepancy indicates that must have been the case.

I'm not sure at this point whether I'll wait to drain until spring or not, but either way I'll follow the FC/CYA chart until I close up this fall. I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm thankful this site gives me the opportunity to figure things out.

I was assuming you would be draining some water for winter?

If not, then it is likely your cya level may still drop a little due to dilution that might occur, pumping of your cover, etc.

In rare instances pool owners have experienced a cya reduction assumed to be due to a soil bacteria that basically converts the cya to ammonia over the winter. However, when this happens, getting rid of the ammonia in the spring is not fun. Again, this is rare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.