Help with cloudiness and FC reading zero every other day

I also would like to understand why just liquid chlorine instead of liquid shock. We purchased the liquid shock to put in tonight after the sun goes down, as I believe that is what was recommended to use instead of the powder. Now I'm being advised to just use liquid chlorine to SLAM instead of liquid shock. Just want to understand why? And since we did purchase this today, can we use this tonight?

So my two questions are what is meant by a SLAM target of 20 and why liquid chlorine instead of liquid shock.

Thanks for all the help while we trying to get a handle on these issues and learn to manage the pool ourselves instead of relying on information from pool stores.

So my two questions are what is meant by a SLAM target of 20
You need the FAS-DPD chlorine test to determine if you have FC (free chlorine) of level 20. Instructions are included with that test :)

why liquid chlorine instead of liquid shock.
Same thing, just different terms/names depending on where purchased :D

Reactions: carnivalday
Okay I got it. The SLAM target of 20 is referring to the FC. I guess I missed that. Our pool is 10x 20, 5' deep, but does have a shallow end as well as it's an in ground pool. My only question is can I use the gallon of liquid shock that we already bought? Do you think a gallon is enough as it states it's for a 14,000 gallon pool? Also, the reason we purchased it from a pool store is because I checked both Walmart and Target online and they show they are out of liquid chlorine in both places. It seems many stores are running low on a lot of products during this pandemic.

Reactions: splashpad
I wondered about supply. In our area the Pool Chlorine is in the yard & garden section and that supply is in-store only (but no purchase limit). Be sure to check dates!

Also check places like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, if you have one there. Reports have been that these stores are stocking back up again. And yes, you can use that gallon that you have. Use your pool math, either the app, or the page right here, to figure out your pool size in gallons, and how much chlorine you will need to add to get to 20 FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Using the calculator here PoolMath
You'll need almost 2gal to reach your first goal of FC/20, then using your FAS-DPD test, you may have to bump that every few hours the first few days.
You'll need many gallons of liquid chlorine/liquid pool shock. Please don't use cal-hypo as vinyl pools do not need calcium added :)

Its very important that you keep your FC level at 20 or above. You may have to test every couple of hours to start with to make sure you are maintaining that level, and you may have to add chlorine frequently. Also be sure to brush your pool, as that will help the chlorine attack the algae. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

I used the pool math and it shows that one gallon should achieve my goal of 20 FC. This liquid shock is 12.5% bleach and our gallons are 5500, even though the pool is 10x20 at 5' deep there is a shallow end which in a pool that small removes a lot of water.

How long do I need to keep the FC at 20? That seems so high as normal levels when all is good are between 2-4. As I stated my granddaughters are here for the next two weeks from out of state and would like to swim. Luckily it's been a bit cool so we have kept them out of the pool for this week, but that is changing as of tomorrow.

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.