Gold Supporter
Jun 18, 2021
Conroe, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I am back again with issues. I started last year and travel picked up so I went back to pool store (big mistake I know). Current condition of pool is water is clear but do have algae on random parts of pool. I don’t think I was ever able to get my type of pool and things to post at bottom so here it goes:

17,500 gallon chlorine pool w/spa (in ground). Live in Houston, TX area.

Current readings from pool store:

FC - .23
TC - .82
pH - 8.3
TA - 128
CH - 168
CA - 26
Phosphates - 192

Current Readings from TF-100:

Chlorine Drop Test: only took 1 drop to so .5
FC - .5
TC- 1
CH - 200
TA - 120
CYA - filled cylinder to top and could still see black dot.

Can someone please tell me what to do next because the pool store has 42 steps (jk).

Also, I do not understand the ppm stuff so you have to break it down for me unfortunately. Thank you in advance!

Todd

For the CYA… get a new water sample and dilute it half/half with tap water and test again. Multiple the result by 2. That should tell us how much water you will have to replace. That is the result of using tablets…

You need some chlorine in that water to prevent the algae to grow too fast. But to really deal with the algae we need to address that CYA first.

If you know you have random spots of algae......SLAM is your priority. Seems as if you have zero CYA. Add enough to get to 30 and follow the process.
Damm… somehow I read what he said the other way around…

Greetings from Katy. Yeah, what Ice said, but first run to Walmart and buy as much 10% pool chlorine as they will sell you. Re few spots of algae...you're in Texas and algae is like cockroaches--it's not the two you see that are the problem, but rather the 50 you don't see. Your CYA is low or nonexistent, but getting FC up to the level for CYA of 30 is a good starting place--12ppm. Then go here to see the rest of what you need to do: Algae Archives

After you get it fixed give consideration to a SWCG addition to your pool, especially if you expect to continue travel much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for the advice! I’m getting it done now and will come back with plenty of questions. I believe something is wrong with my automatic pool leveling system (or whatever it might be called). I have a constant discharge of water coming out.

I believe it was the float on the automatic filler. I replaced it and the water stop coming out the drain for a few hours and then the rain began. We will see over the next few days. My water is clear now but still working on getting the chemicals to the perfect mixture. Thank you for for checking in on me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.