Help! Shocked last night & still no chlorine

Now that the party is behind you it’s time to work at the SLAM. Lower pH to 7.2. Then just double check you have no ammonia in the pool - add enough LC to get to 10ppm, mix for 30 mins with the pump, and test FC and CC.

Reactions: NCleavelin
Attached are my test results from last night…added 17 oz of MA at the return line, brushed it, waited 40 min, and put in 128 oz of 10% chlorine at the return line

Tested tonight and it seems like there still is no chlorine showing (see 2nd picture)

Help! Have my daughter’s 7th birthday party tomorrow at 11 AM with lots of people swimming…water is clear but think I need to shock again tonight!
I don't know about a leak causing that much chlorine loss so quickly, sounds like you have something eating your chlorine big time. I had a similar issue and it ended up being gunk and algea in my 3 light niches and my pipes. Cleaned out the niches during shock levels with a (new) toilet bowl brush and used some ahh-some for the pipes and I was finally able to keep my FC! (I still can't believe how much gunk shot out of my returns with the ahh-some, disgusting!)

Reactions: NCleavelin
Yes, you have 2 separate issues and the leak is only responsible for a very small amount of chlorine loss. It should be a simple fix with some liquid chlorine, brushing, testing, etc during the SLAM.

Remember= you just had a bunch of kids in the water... someone always pees.... the chlorine could easily have been chewed thru dealing with the party.
Chlorine is a consumable item. You first post says you added x amount and 24 hours later your chlorine is zero. One gallon of liquid chlorine in a 15k gallon pool only gives you 5-6ppm of FC. A sunny day in Texas could burn off 4ppm of that chlorine.... so 2ppm , who knows?

I would suggest an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae in the water. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
The water loss due to the skimmer leaks will contribute to chlorine loss, but not entirely. You still have all the rest of the chlorinated water in the pool, right ? Unless you've added so much fresh water before testing chlorine again?

Stop playing around with that comparitor block to test for chlorine ...use the far more accurate FAS-DPD test and test your FC and CC.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: JodieM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.