Strackmomof3

Aug 21, 2023
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We filled our pool two days ago. I thought I went by all the recommendations in TFP (gal pool chlorine to start, 15 bags salt, 12lb stabilizer). Things seemed pretty good day after but when I tested:
FC .5, TC 1
ph 6.8
TA 30
CYA 60.
I added couple more lbs stabilizer, gal liquid chlorine, 13lb soda and we turned the chlorinated to max. This morning I tested:
Fc 6.5, tc7
PH 7.2
TA 70
Cya 80

I noticed the water was looking a little cloudy and by 2 hours later my family started asking me why our pool was green. I went and looked and it was really green and can’t really see to bottom of deep. We turned the chlorine generator down. By this evening there is a bad scum line around the pool.

What’s going on?!?

The most common error causing a green pool is misalignment to the CYA and FC relationship.
FC/CYA Levels
It appears the FC was too low for a day or so and in that short time, algae took over.

Please proceed with the SLAM Process. It will require a lot of liquid chlorine because your SLAM target FC is 40% of the current CYA value - so with 80 CYA that is 32ppm FC.
Would you consider draining 25% to lower your CYA or do you want to proceed with the 32ppm FC target?
It would be best to turn off the SWCG and only use LC to raise the FC and the key part to a SLAM is to MAINTAIN the FC at the 32 level which requires testing every 3-4 hrs during the daylight hours and keep topping up FC back to the 32ppm level.

Keep your pH at 7.2 before you start the SLAM.

Any CYA above 30 is an error people make when the pools aren't in control and balanced properly. There's no way to know how long the slam will take and it will consume lots of liquid chlorine to achieve it. Heed the advice in getting the CYA lower. Not sure of your water table so don't just drain and fill till you have your direction figured out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.