Help, never had this problem before...

Sep 25, 2016
Reidsville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Had watered tested at pool store by lady I trust (she doesn't try to sell me stuff I don't need).
FC .02
TC .02
CC 0
pH 7.3
TA 24
CH 179
CYA 1
Phosphates 2862 (we farm & know this is high, has been higher)(pool store lady not concerned as long as water is clear, told me phosphates are as algea food)
Recommendations...28 lbs baking soda, bring pH down, 11 lbs calcium...used 10 lbs clorox pool brand), 5 lbs stabilizer..had 4lbs clorox pool brand, added all that last weekend and shocked it per instructions but didn't test to see where we were on chlorine then added 16 oz of algeacide with phosphate remover, water was mostly clear. During the week, pool turned green. Started slamming last night after making sure other levels were good, added 7lbs of 75% shock, it brought poolife chlorine test strip to 3ppm. This morning, it was still same color on test strip and water was clear again with dead algae on floor. Vacuumed but did not brush. Swam this evening and felt slime on walls and scum is still collecting in skimmer. I think my CYA needs to be increased because it's 0-(30-50). Should I continue to Slam or get my CYA up more? I smell the combined chlorine smell still also. And son said bottom was mirky to him. Per test strips, (I'm planning to order the test kit that's recommended on this site), TH, pH, TA are all within normal range. Any recommendations???

I’m sorry, but pool store results are notoriously unreliable. Don’t do anything based on those results. Instead, order a test kit like the one in my signature.

Until the kit comes, only add liquid chlorine daily. Use Pool Math to figure how much. To SLAM you have to know exactly what CYA is and you need to be able to test FC frequently, at levels higher than strips can go. So just wait to SLAM until test kit comes.

- - - Updated - - -

In meantime, you can be reading up on Pool School. Suggest these first:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM
Chlorine/CYA Chart

Yep, bleach!

Can you post what kind of pool you have, dimensions, etc.? You can put the information in your signature, like mine. Here’s a link to editing your signature:

Edit Signature

Looks GREAT!

Yes, the Speedstir makes testing so much easier by doing your swirling for you! Highly recommend.

Hiya Farmerswife.... to give you an example of why those Pool Store test results and recommendations are bunk.....They somehow obtained a test result for ta of 23? Then they want you to raise it (ok, if accurate) but then *lower* your pH?? Your pH is just fine! And to lower your pH, it would also lower your TA (again).

Cray-cray, as the kids say.

Good start getting a test kit ordered. Guess Strips and Pool Store testing = No Bueno!

Maddie :flower:

Your comment is now making me question myself. I know the baking soda raises alkalinity and pH, so I use muriatic acid to bring only the pH back down. Sorry I left that part out. I don't use pH down only muriatic acid. Is this not the TFP way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hiya Farmerswife.... to give you an example of why those Pool Store test results and recommendations are bunk.....They somehow obtained a test result for ta of 23? Then they want you to raise it (ok, if accurate) but then *lower* your pH?? Your pH is just fine! And to lower your pH, it would also lower your TA (again).

Cray-cray, as the kids say.

Good start getting a test kit ordered. Guess Strips and Pool Store testing = No Bueno!

Plus they sold her calcium for a vinyl pool!?!? So much wrong with this...

Please don't ever set foot in that pool store again.

Your comment is now making me question myself. I know the baking soda raises alkalinity and pH, so I use muriatic acid to bring only the pH back down. Sorry I left that part out. I don't use pH down only muriatic acid. Is this not the TFP way?

Baking soda does not raise pH that much.

This is why you need your own kit :)

One tip for you:

Baking soda raises ALK and affects pH a little
Washing soda raises both, but more so the ALK
Borax raises pH with little affect on ALK

Use the PoolMath calculator, go to the bottom, and play with the "effects of adding chemicals" section. You can see how each will adjust pH and ALK. Actually if you look in the drop down menu, it tells you for every chemical you could add to the pool.

Playing with the calculator now!�� So, my water is now clear and chloramine smell has decreased significantly. Very little scum in skimmer(kept wiping it out). Brush sides, vacuumed twice and backwashed. No more dead algae on floor. My question now is what should I do until my kit arrives. Checking local prices on bleach for when the shock is all gone. Have a new bucket of both shock and pucks that I have to use first.

Playing with the calculator now!�� So, my water is now clear and chloramine smell has decreased significantly. Very little scum in skimmer(kept wiping it out). Brush sides, vacuumed twice and backwashed. No more dead algae on floor. My question now is what should I do until my kit arrives. Checking local prices on bleach for when the shock is all gone. Have a new bucket of both shock and pucks that I have to use first.

What is the active ingredient in the "bucket of shock". I suggest you put the bucket of tabs in a dark, dry/temp controlled storage place for another day, unless you have plenty of ph/alk increasing products on hand. I understand wanting to use up what you have, as I live on a strict budget, but it's been proven cost wise that straight liquid is the cheapest method of chlorination.

....and make sure the bucket is *not* the Clorox XBlue pucks. They contain copper.

I am sad that my Costco only sells them to unsuspecting pool owners. I keep wanting to write on the price sign "Don't buy this! It contains copper!!"

The shock is 75% calcium hypochlorite. I am fighting the urge to buy stabilizer. It's in the pucks and added only 4 lbs to start with as it was only at 1 when I started.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's the poollife brand. I try not to buy the cheaper stuff cause it has the unnecessary ingredients.

Nah, you can do without the speedstir. But when you next get an urge to treat yourself, get one! Makes testing easier and more fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.