help need to select pump, single speed or variable?

First #1: There is no such thing as an Intelliflo 2-speed. Which pump is it really and is it really a 2-speed?

I do not think I would pay $800+ to upgrade from a 2-speed to a VS ... I doubt you would ever recoup that amount of extra cost in electrical savings.
Also it is ridiculous that the i1 and the 8-speed are the same price since the i1 is certainly a cheaper pump.

Confirm which pump is in the original bid. Likely it is larger than you need and you could get by with a smaller cheaper 2-speed ... assuming he would give you a discount for a smaller 2-speed ... that is what I would do.

I would go with the Superflo 2-speed. The 1HP will use a little less electricity for the life of it and should provide plenty of flow, but up to you. That is what I have and it runs a 500 sqft solar panel on my roof no problem.

The Intelliflo should not cost $800 more than a Superflo. The difference in cost is about $400. But even at $400, it will take a while to pay off the difference in price. Assuming a 15k pool and $0.15/kwh, the Intelliflo will save about $6 per month over the Superflo 1 HP. So for a $800 premium, it will take 133 months before the Intelliflo becomes more cost effective than the Superflo, half the time if the premium was only $400 which it should be. Then it might make sense. How many months/year do you operate (location?).

The economics don't change much so the break even points are about the same so for the given prices, about 16 years.

mas985 said:
The economics don't change much so the break even points are about the same so for the given prices, about 16 years.

Willing to bet the VS pump lasts that long? Seems like many pumps have a 5-10 year lifespan.

All signs point to the Superflo given the prices you have supplied.

If the premium for the Intelliflo was only $400, which it is on the web, then the break even would be around 8 years. Still a long time but might be worth it especially if solar is planned in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.