help murky pool!

Nov 10, 2010
SOOOOO I guess I am now in charge of pool maintainance since my hubby has let it turn green and funky and shows no interest in fixing or covering it :hammer: It has been this way for a little over a month now and my question is should I drain, scrub, and cover and then start from scratch next summer or fix the water and cover. It is above the ground oval. I believe 20,000 gal? Any help is appreciated! :cheers:

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

How do you normally chlorinate the pool?
What is your location. (generally)

The choice is really yours. My personal choice would be to clear the water then winterize it but you can do it either way.

Lets start by getting a set of test results and how you got them.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

If your CYA (stabilizer) is really high, then I'd be more inclined to just "let it go" until next spring and clean it up then. Sometimes, over the winter the CYA gets consumed and it will take less chlorine to clear it if it's lower then than now.

Your best place to start is by reading pool school and getting a good test kit if you don't already have one.

Most people, like your hubby , would rather let it go and worry about it in the spring. But you will feel much better clearing it now, and having a simple pool opeing next spring. Post up all the info requested above and youll get the help you need :mrgreen: