Help me pick a new pump!

Most of the IG single speed pumps are dual voltage but to simplify the wiring, two speeds are single voltage .

Also, the WFDS-24 is an up rated 1 HP and identical to the WFDS-3 which is a full rated 3/4 HP. Both are 115v.

I think the point JB was making is that the Superpump is a dual voltage pump and he was just trying to make sure it was actually wired for 115v and not 230v. Also, if you have a breaker panel at the pad, you should be able to wire a pump either way.

Here are some pictures of my wiring, maybe you guys will know more about what's going on than I do. I'm usually a pretty good DIY guy, but electricity is black magic to me.

20130418_135201.jpg

Timer Box. Right conduit goes to pump, the red and yellow wires are capped and unused.

IMG_1872E.jpg

So according to what I'm seeing, the pump is wired for 120v.

20130418_132033.jpg

The conduit leading out the left side of the timer box goes to this box, which seems to be some kind of fuse. I don't know much about this box.

20130418_132238.jpg

Then I'm assuming it runs through the walls in my garage to the main breaker panel and to this breaker, which reads 120v.

So what would be required to run a 230v pump? I understand the timer box requirements but the rest I'm unsure of.

For 230v, the neutral is replaced by the other side of 230v so you can just use the black wire that currently is connected to neutral (white) to connect to the other side of the 230v. Technically, they probably should have used a white wire to the pump but installers don't always follow convention.

Color Code

mas985 said:
For 230v, the neutral is replaced by the other side of 230v so you can just use the black wire that currently is connected to neutral (white) to connect to the other side of the 230v. Technically, they probably should have used a white wire to the pump but installers don't always follow convention.

Color Code

Sorry, I'm easily confused with this stuff. Are you talking about the wiring between the breaker panel and the timer box, or the wiring between the timer box and the pump. Or both??

Will I need to run a new wire between the breaker panel and the timer box? If I do, I'm just going to get the 3/4hp pump.

Thanks again for talking me through this.

From the timer drawing it looks like you need 4 wires, two hot, one neutral and one ground so the current wire would not work. But if it is conduit all the way to the breaker box you could pull a new wire.

From the timer to the pump, the picture looked like it was two blacks and a green so no changes necessary there. You still use the green ground wire as is but the two black wires will now be used for the hot lines. Neutral is not required for a 230v pump.

So it is up to you if you really want to get that involved with the re-wiring. But I did post earlier that a simple solution is a 115v two speed motor for your current pump. No plumbing changes, no wire changes but you will need a new shaft seal for the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.