Help me pick a circupool SWG

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
So I have decided that my little intex SWG is not going to cut it this summer. It can barely keep up with my chlorine demand right now. In the summer when the days are hotter and the solar cover isn’t on the pool there’s no way it will be able to keep up.

I have decided to go with a circupool SWG because they seem to have a good reputation and the install is pretty straightforward and something I can do myself.

I spent a good amount of time comparing models and prices on friday and, in fact, I even ordered an SJ-40 from discountsaltpool.com, on Friday evening, but luckily it hasn’t shipped yet because I am having second thoughts about the SJ series.

As I see it, here are my options -

The SJ-40 is the cheapest option (which is one of the reasons I liked it). It will generate 1.6lbs of chlorine per day, but has a couple of downsides. It it less adjustable than the RJ series and the salt cell is U shaped, which makes for a lot of bends in the plumbing and as such will increase head pressure and reduce flow more than the other options. It also only has a 5 year warranty. Additionally, and frankly this is what made me reconsider my decision, it requires a higher salt content in the pool. The SJ series requires a minimum of 3500ppm and the recommended level is 4000-4500ppm. My salt level is currently 3000ppm for the intex SWG and I’m concerned that going all the way up to 4000ppm+ might affect the taste of the water and more importantly may cause more corrosion on the pool frame. Intex pools are known for rust issues and I’m afraid that more salt in the water might exasperate the problem.

The next step up is the EDGE-40. This is $120 more than the SJ 40 and will generate 1.7lbs of chlorine per day. It still is less adjustable than the RJ series, but the salt cell isn’t U shaped and it has a 7 year warranty. The other big advantage is that it requires less salt in the water. It will operate with a minimum of 3000ppm and the recommended level is 3500ppm. (The EDGE-25 is potentially an option as well. This one is only $30 more than the SJ-40, but it only produces 1.2lbs of chlorine per day, which I think is probably less than I want)

Finally I could go with the RJ-30 Plus. This one is $150 more than the SJ-40 and it will generate 1.5lbs of chlorine per day. It has the advantage of the better control system and also has a non U shaped salt cell and a 7 year warranty. It also will operate with a minimum of 3000ppm of salt and has a recommended level of 3500ppm.

So, after all that, what would you do? Am I making a big deal out of nothing being concerned about the higher salt level requirements of the SJ-40? If that’s the case then I think I can get past the other downsides to save more than $120-$150. Is the better control panel on the RJ series worth an extra $150 over the SJ-40?

I just looked at Discountsaltpools and the RJ30 can be upgraded to an RJ45 for $1. Woohoo!
All I can say is it seems I see more folks with the RJ versions here.

Yeah, it definitely looks like a great sale and the $1 upgrade is available across their entire line of circupool SWG’s. The price differentials I listed above are based on their sale prices by getting one model lower and then upgrading to the model I want for a dollar more. So to go up to an RJ-45 it would be $250 more than the SJ-40 or $100 more than the RJ-30. However, the RJ-45 is rated for 45000 gallons, which is more than triple the size of my pool, and it will generate 2lbs of chlorine per day. I think it’s probably overkill for me.

Well, looks like I might be stuck with the SJ-40 after all. Like I said, I had placed the order Friday evening and discountsaltpool.com is only open Monday through Friday, so I was thinking that I could call Monday morning and cancel or change my order. But I just got an email with a tracking number stating that my order has already shipped.

I’m sure I could still ship it back and return it if I really wanted to, but I’d rather not go through the hassle. I still like the low cost of the SJ-40 and I think I can live with the limitations. I may try to keep the salt at the low range, but I think it should still be a decent SWG for me.

But hey, kudos to discountsaltpool.com for their fast shipping:)

The higher the salt level the more efficient the cell will work up to a point obviously. On the few RJ-60PLUS that I have installed the salinity is in the 3800-4000 range. The difference of rust in the 3000-4000 is all the same. On more then one occasion the guys at Discount salt.... said the product purrs at the upper limit and I can attest for that. Keep the CSI just on the negative side of "0" and the cell will never need to be cleaned.

Well, looks like I might be stuck with the SJ-40 after all. Like I said, I had placed the order Friday evening and discountsaltpool.com is only open Monday through Friday, so I was thinking that I could call Monday morning and cancel or change my order. But I just got an email with a tracking number stating that my order has already shipped.

I’m sure I could still ship it back and return it if I really wanted to, but I’d rather not go through the hassle. I still like the low cost of the SJ-40 and I think I can live with the limitations. I may try to keep the salt at the low range, but I think it should still be a decent SWG for me.

But hey, kudos to discountsaltpool.com for their fast shipping:)
It will work just fine for you. No worries. Honestly.

Brett,

I just wanted you to know that my RJ-45+ has worked flawlessly. I love being able to see it making chlorine (clear SWG cell) and be able to adjust it in 5% increments. My pool is a bit larger than yours, so I did opt for the larger size SWG. I do like the ability to check the water temp and salinity of the water using the control unit, but I am bit of a geek. The temperature readout seems to be really accurate and the salinity is within a couple hundred ppm of my Taylor test.

Because my pool is an AGP, I do not worry about calcium so you will notice my CSI is way in the negative side. I am hoping that because of this I will never have to worry about scaling at all.

Good luck and enjoy your new SWG!

Because my pool is an AGP, I do not worry about calcium so you will notice my CSI is way in the negative side. I am hoping that because of this I will never have to worry about scaling at all.

For what it’s worth, this might be a bad thing. I downloaded the manual for the circupool SWG so I could make sure I have everything ready to install it when it comes and I noticed this information in the troubleshooting section:

Cell never or rarely has mineral buildup:
Water may be corrosive due to imbalanced water chem. and a low Saturation Index
Ensure that your Saturation Index is at or near zero, in order to avoid damage or premature cell failure. (p.6)

Well, I’m nothing if not indecisive. I called on Monday and ordered an RJ-30+. I’m definitely of the geek type and more buttons and options are something that appeal to me. I also figure that this SWG is going to be with me for a while, so I may as well spend a little more now and get something with all the options, rather than saving a little money now and then deciding that I want to upgrade a year from now. The good news is that they were able to ship the RJ-30+ out on Monday and it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I can get it installed and running tomorrow afternoon:)

For what it’s worth, this might be a bad thing. I downloaded the manual for the circupool SWG so I could make sure I have everything ready to install it when it comes and I noticed this information in the troubleshooting section:
Congratulations on making your mind up. There are too many options, honestly.

The reason I have not ordered mine yet is that I need to get the pool rebalanced at a lower TA, and in my case that means I have to mechanically raise pH when I am dropping TA. So, yes it is important, but it's also important for the rest of your equipment, especially heater cores if you have a heater. Keep your CSI slightly negative, but near zero, and you should be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well if you have a AGP like mine, I run my CSI in the -.99 range. Calcium is not needed for pools with liners. I never expect to have any calcium build up on my SWG.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.