Help me decide the best course for chlorination

rightnitro

Jul 29, 2019
Southeastern NH
Was just in the store, and 10% bleach gallon is up to $4.60. I added 1 of these every 2 days to keep my 13k gallon above ground at 3-4 ppm last few yrs.

Then I noticed they had a 5.5lb a "shock" powder which was 52% cal hypo. This was $20. Label on the back says add 5.2 oz (I assume daily) to chlorinate a 13k gallon pool.

So I can pay $20 to get ((5.5*16)/5.2) = 17 days of chlorination w this powder.

Or get the same 17/2 = 8.5 gallons for $39 with the 10% bleach.

Is this math right, or is the cal hypo powder dose way off?

It would be about 16 to 20 Oz a day to get 4 FC and your CA would rise about 5 per day

5.5 pounds = 88 oz = 5.5 days at 16 oz a day

All chlorine prices are going up... I have been telling everyone to get a salt water generator and be happy.. The only problem with SWG is the cost is all upfront.. With Liquid chlorine and solid chlorine you pay as you go, they all cost the same in the end.. I just make mine at the pool and do not have to know or wonder where I will get the next chlorine from.. :)

The SJ30 is about 2.5 times the size of your pool, you would only have to run your pump about 10 hours to create the chlorine you would need..

CircuPool RJ-20 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool > get the 10 dollar upgrade to the RJ30..

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
It would be about 16 to 20 Oz a day to get 4 FC and your CA would rise about 5 per day

5.5 pounds = 88 oz = 5.5 days at 16 oz a day

All chlorine prices are going up... I have been telling everyone to get a salt water generator and be happy.. The only problem with SWG is the cost is all upfront.. With Liquid chlorine and solid chlorine you pay as you go, they all cost the same in the end.. I just make mine at the pool and do not have to know or wonder where I will get the next chlorine from.. :)

The SJ30 is about 2.5 times the size of your pool, you would only have to run your pump about 10 hours to create the chlorine you would need..

CircuPool RJ-20 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool > get the 10 dollar upgrade to the RJ30..
What would raise cyanuric? Aren't bleach and cal hypo "pure" in the sense that they add no extra garbage?

What would raise cyanuric? Aren't bleach and cal hypo "pure" in the sense that they add no extra garbage?
Calcium, not CYA. Cal-Hypo is chlorine bound to calcium, so it adds calcium hardness to the water.

Bleach is really the only “pure” sanitizer, in that it adds nothing other than chlorine and sodium.

Reactions: newdude
If you replace a lot of your water every year, you can get away with cal-hypo for chlorination. Just keep an eye on your CA levels and your CSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.