Help...Is 7 foot deep enough

Jul 22, 2017
hamburg
I am struggling on the right depth profile for my pool. I am presently looking at a 16x34 pool with a 4 foot shallow end that is about 12 feet in length, a 12 foot slope to the deep end, and a 10 foot wide deep end (8 ft deep). With concrete steps in the pool, I would lose about 2 feet of usable space in the shallow end. If I decrease the depth by one foot (7 ft), I gain 3 to 4 feet of length in the shallow end due to reduced slope distance in the middle of the pool and on the backside of the hopper.

I have 3 young kids who like jumping and playing. I am also very tall and I like to jump in without bottoming out.

Would you reduce the depth of the deep end by 1 foot to lengthen the shallow end or is 7 feet a useless depth? I imagine feet first jumping is safe but I'm sure the kids will try diving off the deck at some point. Is a diving board at 8 feet depth more of a risk than the occasional deck dive into 7 feet of water? I am against both, but it helps quantify the risk...

You shouldnt be diving head first (from the deck) into water less than 8 feet deep. Thats regulation (for public pools) in many places, although the Red Cross recommends 9 feet. For a diving board you need to also add in extra 1.5 times height, so if diving board is 1 foot above the pool, you add another 1.5 feet to the depth (9.5 feet). If its a springy board, you have to figure out how high theyll be jumping.

I'd definitly go 8 feet, and remind everyone that the board is not for head first diving (Take the diving board out when your kids are having pool parties, especially when they get older; dont want to paralyze a teenager). A smaller shallow end is only an issue for a short time, little kids become big kids eventually...

I'm probably overly cautious with this sort of thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.