Help identifying if I have mustard algae?

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
I was doing some regular pool maintenance when I noticed algae growing in the pool. It had rained a lot recently and I accidentally left a 5 gal of LC out in the sun so I figured that the rain combined with weakened chlorine probably caused it. So I brought the pool up to SLAM level and spent the day brushing all the walls and floors of the pool and cycled the robot 3 times. I kept the pump running overnight and left it at that. I came back out this morning and noticed some algae had come back, mainly on the edges where the slope of the pool meets the floor. Sorry, picture may not be the best.

When I brush it, it's yellow-ish green. I also don't think it's pollen as I haven't noticed any pollen buildup since Spring. Is this mustard algae? And if so, what's the best approach? It seems I have to spike the FC above SLAM levels from what I've read. I tested CYA like 2 weeks ago and it was sitting around 35ppm.

Thanks all!
356956061_1287060068585529_3601540222604106252_n.jpg

Good article to help determine if MA and next steps.
We always round up CYA to the higher decade numbers so yours would be 40

Generally, if you have visible algae, it's time to complete the SLAM Process. It sounds like you started, but there's no indication that you finished. Make sure you read the three criterion for completion. If you believe you have mustard algae, follow the MA protocol in the link provided above after successful completion of the SLAM. It's really just maintaining a higher FC level for a period of 24 hours.

Generally, if you have visible algae, it's time to complete the SLAM Process. It sounds like you started, but there's no indication that you finished. Make sure you read the three criterion for completion. If you believe you have mustard algae, follow the MA protocol in the link provided above after successful completion of the SLAM. It's really just maintaining a higher FC level for a period of 24 hours.
Yep, I haven't completed the entire process yet. My reason for posting this was only because I saw it coming back like 12-14 hours after the initial clean and brush. It could be the dead algae but the way it was on the slopes of the pool made it seem like it was very much alive.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.