Help identify skimmer plumbing

lgjeff

Jun 2, 2021
Palm Harbor, FL
First post, thank you for all of the knowledge I've already acquired (small as it might be!)

Recently acquired pool, built in 1986. On the suction side, there is a single jandy valve choosing between skimmer and a side vacuum port. Previous owners kept the vacuum in full-time as best I can figure out, with 3/4 from vacuum and 1/4 from skimmer.

Sometimes we'd like to use the pool without the vacuum, so I'm trying to figure out appropriate plumbing for that. I am now at 100% skimmer. From my research, it seems that usually when there isn't a selection for main drain at the pool equipment, it is plumbed into the skimmer. However, all of the references I've found have been to two ports at the bottom of the skimmer basket and use of a diverter valve float assembly to send some suction to the main drain. However, mine has three! The primary suction port that goes to the pool equipment is obvious, but I am not sure which of the other two ports goes to the main drain. One is above the basket and on the pool side... the other is right above the bottom and on the deck side. The upper drain has some threads... the lower has none. I am trying to picture how a diverter float assembly would work in this setup... I suppose it could go above the bottom hole and below the basket if the bottom port comes from the MD, but it would have to go up above everything if the top port goes to the MD. Anybody recognize this setup and could point me in the right direction? I'm including some pictures of the basket.

Overall setup: 1 skimmer with those three ports, a single main drain, and the vacuum port on the suction side. On the return side, no valve and returns water to three returns.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 29
You would have to come up with a way to block off partial flow to the main drain. Easy way to tell which port is blowing air down the line and looking for bubbles at the drain. I've never seen that skimmer type. Is there any writing on the underside of lid or inside skimmer

Jimmy, thanks for the reply. I am going to try the bubble method-- might send a shop vac down those in reverse and see where they come out. I was also thinking about putting some food dye near the main drain and do the reverse, but I am also curious about the third port. Unfortunately, no labeling that I can find anywhere on the lid or skimmer, but I'll keep hunting. Who knew I'd end up with a rare skimmer!

In my research, I came across this device and I wonder if it might be applicable to my situation. V38-100 – Val-Pak Anthony Thread Lock Diverter – 6414 – Val-Pak Products

Do some testing I'm curious what the 3rd port is for or was for. Do you have an equalizer in front of the skimmer somewhere on pool wall? Looks like a return port?

That link wont do you any good. If ots the threaded port you'd be better off with an mpt plug amd a hole drilled in it

@jimmythegreek I am going to take a shop vac and send some air down each of the side holes and see what happens. I think the one on top goes to the main drain and I suspect the bottom one doesn't go anywhere. I do not have an equalizer anywhere. Pool was built in 1986.

@kadavis Man-- I think that might be it. I scoured images online and it sure looks like my skimmer from the top port down. The opening to the pool looks a little different. I might take the plunge and order the control plate. I wish they put some labeling on these things, although 35 years later maybe it's just all worn off.

Thanks to you both for your kind words.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.