PeterTheFrog

Jul 3, 2019
Pradines, France
Our pool is open all year round, just with reduced filtration time in winter.
The 40 m3 pool runs on PHMB/Peroxide, sand filter.
There's a bubble cover that's used from spring onwards.
pH, TH, TA, peroxide and PHMB levels are all spot on.
Yesterday, when taking the bubble cover off for the first time in four days (filtration on 24/24), I found a very large dead toad in the pool under the cover.
When I tried to fish it out with a pool net, the toad exploded and a whole load of brown gunk landed in the pool.
The stench is absolutely revolting!!!
I initially tipped ten litres of peroxide into the pool, but am wondering if I should empty the pool completely and refill with fresh water.
Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!

I'm personally not a fan of biguanide pools, but in general making sure you oxidizer (peroxide) and sanitizer (PHMB) levels are within range then they should eliminate anything nasty that could have come from the toad.

Hi, welcome to TFP! We call the PHMB Biguanide or use the brand name Bacquacil. Most of our members use chlorine and we would tell them to net out all the solids you can and then raise the chlorine to slam level. With biguanide its a little different. I'll ask someone with biguanide experince to comment, but I don't think you need to drain and refill, unless you are just so disgusted by the whole mess you do it for aesthetic reasons.
@Leebo

Can't you just vacuum or net out the remains of the eviscerated toad? When I open my (biguanide) pool in spring, the water is completely brown and has a pretty strong stench. Can't even see the past the 2nd step. Bottom is full of dead / decomposed worms plus whatever else got in there during the off season. But vacuuming and doing a few DE changes works wonders. I wouldn't drain / refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.