Help, dust everywhere

The more often you can test for chlorine and get back to SLAM levels the better. Also, brush and vacuum often to disrupt the algae. Be sure to brush out any hidden areas like light niches, skimmer mouth/throat/weir door, ladders/steps, etc. :)

If the water is clear it could be a pretty short SLAM!

Reactions: Farmerswife96
OK then - I would say to do the OCLT tonight. Bring it up to 12 ppm after dark, test after about 30 minutes of the pump mixing to confirm what the FC level is. Get up nice and early and test it again before sunrise. Then you'll know if you have any organics consuming the chlorine. :)

Reactions: Farmerswife96
I got a sample at daylight this morning and tested it 2.5 hours later when I got up for the day. Does that make any difference? FC only fell to 10 with CC at 0. After inspecting pool this morning, there is whitish, cloudy stuff mixed in with the remaining "dust/debris" which I am assuming is dead algae. Should I continue with SLAM? Water is Alot clearer today! Vacuuming now.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Contine SLAM Process. You need to pass all three criteria. You need to test when you take the sample. Water is OLD after 2 1/2 hours.

You are done when:

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

I'm honestly not sure if chlorine degrades in water if the sample was taken and brought indoors, but you really don't need to worry because the pool isn't 100% clear. SLAM until the pool is 100% clear, no debris, no cloudiness at all, and THEN do the OCLT again to check. :)

I continued the SLAM process. Checking about every 3 hours. Went from 12 to 8 in 3 hours. Wonder if that's normal with my CYA level and this weather. It's been cloudy/rainy all day. Going to add more chlorine now.

OCLT shows only a loss of 1 for almost 12 hours. Think ill be good to go?! Water is very clear and no CCs. Vacuuming again in a little while. I figured the white stuff is probably dead algae with dust from cutting the stone pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.