Help Determining Ideal Chemical Levels For My Pools

Wonder whether or not swapping to bleach as our go to product for superchlorination (cal-hypo granule currently) would be a cost effective move. Likewise wonder if using bleach via a liquid auto feed would be sensible for our primary chlorine source... Given our fill water's CH, it really doesn't make sense to be using cal-hypo tablets.

Can anybody chime in about using bleach for chlorination on a commercial pool scale? Volumes are 55,000 gals, 6,360 gals, and 1,250 gals to eliminate scrolling.

Edit: Not sure if this is moving off topic enough that a new thread would be warranted...?

It's on topic......I'd stay in this thread.

I'd say that maybe a SWG would be a better choice in for your case. I'm sure liquid chlorine would be MUCH cheaper, however if you're going to purchase a new piece of equipment I'd fully automate it. Then again, I'm not really sure just how large of a SWG you would need for 60k gallons, and the price tag that would follow.

It sounds like you've grasped the chemistry behind running the pool, now it's just convening the higher up's that a switch to other sources of chlorine will be in their benefit. This is assuming that adding fresh water is seldom done and the CH raises quickly. IF the CH can be kept under control, and the tabs don't break the bank.....it maybe in best interest to stick with them.

SuzakuTheKnight said:
CC: 0 (I'll superchlorinate should it reach 0.2 or higher. I've always followed the FC = 10 x CC rule for superchlorination. Does this still hold with CYA present?)
That is not what we recommend and I am not sure there is any truth behind that equation anyway.
If you get algae, cloudy water or have higher CC, then we recommend the SLAM Process.

For our current setup, the tabs run for around $120 per 50 lbs container, and we go through 3-4 containers a month. Overall $360-$480 a month for main chlorine supply. At the moment, I don't have accurate enough records to track the weekly or monthly CH rise (I will be closely monitoring this for here on). A rough estimate of 550oz of cal-hypo a week (best guess for main pool's usage) on PoolMath shows a 34ppm CH rise a week. Given 260ppm fill CH, that would requiring draining 27% of the pool weekly to maintain a CH of 350...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.