Help! Build up that won't come off during SLAM - what to do?

karose7

Mar 9, 2023
Leander, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
(Reposted into new thread due to no response)

I have a question about my current SLAM.
I'm on Day 11 and still losing chlorine - I believe due to a build up on the walls that I just can't get off. I have manually skimmed daily and brushed the entire pool multiple times daily. (in addition to cleaning the filter every day - I have 2 brand new filters that I swap out/clean daily).

My dilemma is that I just can't get the stuff off the walls to budge! It is hard and rough - feels like concrete on my (used to be) smooth fiberglass wall. On day one it cut my fingers when I tried to rub it off! It's not as rough today.

I tried pouring a tiny bit of muriatic acid on the edge and it did bubble, but didn't seem to come off.

Is there something I can do during the SLAM process to loosen this stuff off the walls? Or do I have to wait until I'm done with SLAM?
I'm making progress, but still not there yet. I get so exhausted brushing trying to get it to budge - this 'ole girl just needs a little help!

I've retested my CYA again this am and it's currently sitting at around 45... so I rounded up to 50 for PoolMath.

You can barely see the build up and streaks on the wall in the pic, but it's extremely noticeable in person.
Pics in order:
1) Day 9 build up on walls
2) Day 1
3) Day 5
4) Day 6
5) Day 9build up on walls.jpgDay 1.jpgDay 5.jpgDay 6 (2).jpgDay 9 (2).jpg

Sounds exactly like calcium scale. Resulting usually from pH being too high for too long and frequently Calcium Hardness will test very high but not always.

Can you post current test results?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.