Help backfilling Above ground pool into a sloped yard

Greggjh

Jun 10, 2019
Cincinnati
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and just bought my first 27' vogue panache aluminium and resin above ground pool. My installer dug the hole and is supposed to put the pool in tomorrow. He had to dig 2' 8" out of a small slope on one side and around the pool it tapers off to nothing on the other side.

I have a few questions is it ok to back fill at the level of 2'8" and tapers down to about 4-5" on the opposite side once the pool is filled with water? I live in Ohio and have dirt/ clay back fill so it will compact well. Or is 2' 8" to high to back fill? When I do backfill should input anything between the the dirt and aluminum walls? I.E. plastic, roofing tar, or flex seal?

Last should I be installing drain tile around the pool?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

I'd contact the pool manufacturer about backfilling. If it turns out you can't, you can always put in a block retaining wall a short distance from the pool to handle the fill

We have a significant grade in our backyard. Before Photo

The person we used for excavation has been in the excavation business for over 50 years. He was not a dedicated pool installer; however, he had done many. He said it would not be an easy task but he has done yards like ours without long term problems. I had him excavate the high side to the point that would hit the lip of the pool when the deck was installed. What he used to build up the low side was the material they use under highways as a base. He did it in 3 inch lifts and packed it all the way up. He used a Crud ton of base, I don't remember the amount but it was A LOT. He tapered the sides then covered the tapered sides with the excavated dirt. This has been our second season with the pool and there has been no settling that I can notice. It is doable, it may void your warranty but what can you do about that if you want a pool. It all comes down to the skill and competence of your excavator. In my opinion, they are more important than the pool installer unless your ground is perfectly flat.

I did a drain tile but I haven't seen it drain anything; however, I'm not out there in rain storms checking it either. :)

To the right of this photo is where there is the most tapering of the base material then covered with the back-fill.
After Photo

I don't have a good photo of the deck all done and I'm too lazy to go out right now.
Deck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.