Help a newbie out

May 6, 2018
Canada
Pool was finished tail end of last season but got closed immediately.

Opened for the first time just this week. Water is crystal clear.

I have added 5 jugs of chlorine at this point at 5L a pop, 10.8%. My chlorine levels are still at zero. No stabilizer added as of yet.

I don’t have my test kit until later this week, so I’m relying on crappy strips. Alkalinity 60 PPM according to pool store and pH around 8. I dumped some muriatic acid in last night according to pool math. I can’t get a good read on my actual pH with the strips.

What should I be doing right now? I want in this thing so bad. It’s heated to 80 right now. 61000 litres or so, my signature is off in that respect, can’t seem to fix on mobile.

Thanks!

Welcome! :wave: Your situation is a bit tricky. We really need accurate test results, and you will too. Do not add stabilizer until your kit arrives and you post good test results as we want to rule-out ammonia. Until them you can one jug of chlorine a day, that won't hurt anything. It may not be very productive, but hopefully it will keep things from getting worse. Definitely don't add anything else to eh wryer but chlorine (aka regular bleach). Once your kit arrives, post those results and we'll be happy to help.

In the mean time, read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM Process pages for more info. Thanks for using the forum!

Oh, and you might let the water temp drop a little to help slow-down algae growth. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.