kgurtsak

May 29, 2019
Delaware
Hello, thanks for having me. I put in a concrete pool last year (Apr 2018) with a salt system and have been pretty pleased with it. Only thing I noticed was the surface being a little rough. We followed the PB instructions and brushed it frequently. I also chased my tail with keeping the PH down and adding muriatic acid on a regular basis. After opening this year all the areas that were under water are even worse with roughness.

I have read several posts on here about potential calcium issues and notice that my vacuum filter has quite a bit of white "crystals" in it after running a cycle and assuming these are calcium, but not sure. I have the chemical levels balanced and going to try and keep brushing to see if that improves the surface of the plaster. I am opened to any other comments for me to verify that this is in-fact calcium. I believe I saw if I put acid directly on the crystals and they bubble this is a good test??

Anyway, nice to virtually meet all of you and thanks in advance for any help. I will also share any experiences I have if it can help others.

Pool is 19k gallons, built by Blue Haven Pools

Welcome! :wave: It does sound like you have some post-winter calcium build up. Use the PoolMath tool and look at the CSI row to ensure your CSI is not getting too high (over 0.3). A slightly negative CSI may actually help your cause with consistent brushing. If you post a full set of water results it may help us confirm. At some point, make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info as well.

You really need a TFTestkits TF-100 for managing your concrete pool. This kit has capacity to test Calcium Hardness 36 times which is very important for concrete pool.
CH – Calcium Hardness – Appropriate levels help prevent plaster damage. High levels can cause calcium scaling.

Last edited:
The Pool Math calculator is an easy and amazing tool for keeping your pool water balanced and avoiding calcium scaling or calcium leaching. Learning to test your water yourself and utilizing the Pool Math calculator will put you in complete control.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

It sounds like you have some calcium scale buildup. Yes, using muriatic acid on the crystals is a good test to see if it is calcium scale. Even with all parameters within range, it is possible to get calcium scaling. You need to look at the CSI (calcium saturation index). Pool Math (link at the bottom of the page) can help you figure this out. Read these links on Calcium scalling and CSI.

If you fill out your signature it will help us help you without having to ask about your pool. Use the sigs above as an example.

Thanks everyone - I just ordered the TF-100 test kit. I think this is what the pool store was using. He said he prefers it over the digital type testing stations.

Here are my results from the store yesterday:
FAC - 3
TAC - 3
Salt - 3600 (he said this is a little high but with all the rain and backwashing I will be doing I should be ok)
CH - 210 (but just added 15 pounds)
CYA - 90
TA - 120
pH - 7.8 (just added muriatic acid to lower some)
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Pho - 0

I also did the poolmath calc with these numbers and came up with -0.01 CSI but not sure if I have all the proper range values correct. I want to make sure I am using a good baseline to shoot for. Any suggestions. This is all fairly confusing to me right now.