Hello from Mobile, AL!

acr1271

Bronze Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Mobile, AL
Hey everyone,

I wanted to say hello to the forum and show you a couple pics of our completed pool! Some specs on it:

7k gallons
In ground freeform gunite
3 feet shallow end to 5 feet deep end
Cool Blue Plaster
Baja shelf
Deep end bench (10' wide)
2 Waterline Tile Jets
Hayward TriStar 1.5HP Dual-Speed Pump
Hayward 450 sqft cartridge filter
Hayward ProLogic Automation
Powerclean Tab Ultra VS In-line Chlorinator
2 PAL Lighting LEDs
6 return jets

Performed my first water test with TF-100 Kit:

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
pH 8.2
TA 30
CH 350
CYA 0

Added 4oz of 31.5% Muratic Acid, will check pH again tomorrow morning.

Landscaping is next. Looking forward to enjoying it for many years to come!

IMG_3391.jpgIMG_3389.jpgIMG_3355.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
Beautiful pool! I love that stone work. Good job with the TF-100. :goodjob: Now for some feedback:
1 - You need some CYA. Otherwise, the FC disappears too fast from the sun and the chlorine is much more harsh. So use the PoolMath tool or APP, buy some stabilizer and use the sock-soaking method to increase the CYA to at least 30. As summer approaches, you'll want a CYA of 40-50.
2 - Increase the FC to avoid algae. For now, get it up to about 3-4 ppm. The tabs are too slow and you dont' want algae in that gorgeous pool. Once the CYA is in the water, keep the FC & CYA balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Once the CYA is at 30, you can continue to use the tabs FOR NOW. Once the CYA hits the 40-50 range, be prepared to stop using them, and use liquid chlorine (regular bleach) only to increase FC.
4 - Your TA is too low. Use baking soda and increase it to at least 50. A goal of about 60-70 might be better.
5 - You already hit the pH, so that's good. The acid will also try to lower the TA more, so again, watch the TA as noted above.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Welcome! :wave:

Beautiful pool! I love that stone work. Good job with the TF-100. :goodjob: Now for some feedback:
1 - You need some CYA. Otherwise, the FC disappears too fast from the sun and the chlorine is much more harsh. So use the PoolMath tool or APP, buy some stabilizer and use the sock-soaking method to increase the CYA to at least 30. As summer approaches, you'll want a CYA of 40-50.
2 - Increase the FC to avoid algae. For now, get it up to about 3-4 ppm. The tabs are too slow and you dont' want algae in that gorgeous pool. Once the CYA is in the water, keep the FC & CYA balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Once the CYA is at 30, you can continue to use the tabs FOR NOW. Once the CYA hits the 40-50 range, be prepared to stop using them, and use liquid chlorine (regular bleach) only to increase FC.
4 - Your TA is too low. Use baking soda and increase it to at least 50. A goal of about 60-70 might be better.
5 - You already hit the pH, so that's good. The acid will also try to lower the TA more, so again, watch the TA as noted above.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Welcome! :wave:

Thank you and thanks the feedback! I’ll work towards adjusting levels based off your advice and pool math app.

Latest test results below. I’ve been using two 99% TriChloro pucks per week since mid April. I’ve added LC from time to time to get my FC up (added 20 oz this am). CYA has already increased by 10 since my last CYA test 3 weeks ago.

FC 3.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 400
CYA 40
Salt 1000
CSI 0.09

I’m slowly moving towards a SWG system. Yesterday, I went ahead and added the flow switch and dummy cell. The good news is that the Pro Logic reports flow when I’m in low speed mode. I can’t thank the TFP community enough for providing the knowledge base to guide and confidence that I can take indeed care of my pool on my own! It’s been a fun journey so far. ??

Attachments

• 807B431A-7EAA-4E23-946B-2660604A3B72.jpeg
    807B431A-7EAA-4E23-946B-2660604A3B72.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 5
Numbers look much better. I would increase the FC a little more though. Summer heat is approaching and algae likes warmer water. Take a look at the FC/CYA Levels and find your CYA with matching FC level. If you couldn't tell, the use of tabs (which are acidic) are also helping to keep the pH and TA from rising too fast. That's good for now until you stop using the pucks. Enjoy! :swim:

Thanks Texas Spalsh! Plan is to let the tabs work up the CYA to 70 and then switch over. Might as well since I paid for them. Amazed that my salt measurements with city water and the addition of LC has me up to 1000 ppm.

Last edited:
SWG system is in! Ended up going with the Hayward T-Cell-3. FYI, if you register the SWG with Hayward you receive an extra 90 days on the warranty. Been running it at 65% for 14 hours a day (FC 2.5ppm). Adjusted it to 75% and will update after a few days. Aiming for 3.5-4ppm FC. Here are my latest results:

FC 2.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 300
CYA 60
Salt 3200
CSI -0.09

Questions:

Should I bump my CYA up to 70 or can I go with this for now?

If I add MA to lower to pH to 7.4, CSI = -0.47! Anything I should do in order to avoid this or can a pH of 7.8 be my new target?

C9DB3B0C-4E48-44CE-86C0-6E099ED83142.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support