Hello from Magnolia Texas

Jim_in_Magnolia

Aug 5, 2021
Magnolia TX 77355
Hi, we're in the design phase for a backyard pool. The pool will be about 50,000 gallons and have a 25 meter lap lane; it will be shaped like a 7. We have not interviewed any pool construction companies yet; I am thinking about selecting a constructor based on recommendations from system contractors (automatic pool covers, chemical systems, solar heaters, etc.) instead of Yelp reviews.

I have chlorine sensitivity due to years of competitive swimming and working with halogens as a chemical engineer, so I am interested in minimizing the use of halogens in the pool. We are in a Zone 7b area and get a few nights per year of freezing temperatures, but I hope to be able to use the pool for lap swims almost year round.

I just learned about this site and so far it looks really good.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We have a wealth of information here to help you with chemistry, construction, and equipment maintenance. I invite you to read the link below regarding your concerns for chlorine sensitivity. Here at TFP we employ a careful balance of FC-to-CYA ratio as noted on our FC/CYA Levels that many public facilities do not use. This make a huge difference in comfortability while ensuing sanitization. If you have some specific chemistry issues you would like to discuss further, I would recommend starting a new thread in another sub-forum and we'll tag some of our chemistry experts to address your questions.

Welcome to TFP :)

With a heat pump I bet you can swim all year round.. it may cost some bucks to run it in the winter but if the pool is covered maybe not...
or a big one..

I would recommend a salt water pool and they are the gentlest on skin and the easiest to operate and keep up.. Please get at least a 3hp VS pump and an RJ 60 plus SWG.. With 50k of water you will need to run the pool 24/7 and the SWG operating at about 85% to 90% unless it is covered then I bet you could run it at 50% or so...

Stick around, ask some questions and have fun :)

Last edited: