Hello from MA

dotseurat

May 22, 2022
Reading, MA
Hi there.

I've asked a few questions last year (thanks for the help!) but never followed up with introducing myself.

I'm about to hit my 3rd season of pool ownership after moving into a new house during the covid pandemic.
It's been a journey and I'm holding steady thanks to advice I've read here -- I've switched over to primarily using Liquid Chlorine from tabs (though use chlorinator while on vacation) -- purchased a TF-Pro kit with an automatic stirrer (fun).

Last year's opening the water was very murky. I paniced and rushed and added some algecide and clarifier - at the same time no less, and made the water very cloudy and it took a good prolonged run of pumps and SLAMMing to clear things up. Will be interesting to see if I've learned anything when I take the pool cover off and see what condition its in.

My latest thinking for this upcoming season is to maybe install a SWCG. With such a large pool and cost of chlorine and hassles associated with it lead me in that direction. It might be something we have to wait on one more year, but we'll see.

I'm just poking around gathering some info on that and getting ready to ask specific questions

This link from gave me some confidence I could probably install it myself assuming I pick the right model for my needs -

If your husband is an average DIY kind of guy, he should not have any problems installing a salt system.

My next read that I have to digest is this link - SWG Chlorine Calculation

It might start to address some of the questions spinning around in my head - Is my single-speed pump good enough for my pool and a new SWCG, how to calculate its flow rate, what size model to get, how long to run the pump, etc ( I didn't really master that last year and probably over-ran it -- primarily to keep it need from surrounding leaves)

Anyway, hello TFP community! And thanks for all your help here.

feh... a single speed pump does fine with a SWG....that's what I have. I use an Intermatic timer for the SWG and all works smoothly.
With a SWG and single speed pump you either turn the SWG "up" higher to get more chlorine made, or you run the pump longer. They even out in the end. Easy peasy.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: dotseurat