Hello from Florida. New Hot Tub Owner

If I turn the toggle on for SLAM, it says my FC target is 8
The lowest slam level is 10ppm even with no cya.
something is askew with your
PoolMath

It is just a calculator & the values can be changed manually, But It should automatically recommend the appropriate slam value based on the cya you input.
Unless you’re using a different calculator.

Reactions: WaldenTW5
The lowest slam level is 10ppm even with no cya.
something is askew with your
PoolMath

It is just a calculator & the values can be changed manually, But It should automatically recommend the appropriate slam value based on the cya you input.
Unless you’re using a different calculator.
Didn’t see this until today. I just checked the SLAM recommendation and with my CYA of 40 and FC of 5.6, the SLAM Target FC is 16. So is this what I should go by for weekly shocking?

Didn’t see this until today. I just checked the SLAM recommendation and with my CYA of 40 and FC of 5.6, the SLAM Target FC is 16. So is this what I should go by for weekly shocking?
If you wish to reach shock level for a particular issue (really high bather load/party/ elevated cc’s) that’s it 16ppm.
There’s no reason to shock on a schedule persay. If you’re replenishing with enough fc to account for all bather waste and never falling below minimum for your cya (3ppm) you shouldn’t really have a need to shock reactively.
Many find that instead they need to dose somewhere between target (5-7ppm for you) & slam level (16ppm for you) to ensure they make up for the current bather load, account for standby consumption, & still stay above minimum for their cya until their next use/test/dose.
Your testing will be your guide here.
Example-
get in tub @ your target fc 6ppm,
Have a 30 minute 2 person soak, check fc upon getting out- now there’s 3ppm (at this point all the bather waste hasn’t been full dealt with), dose to 10ppm
Check the following day before soaking again 6ppm - repeat cycle based on bather load adding more before/whilst using the tub if greater demand is expected.
This is just an example & your fc consumption will have many variables but hopefully you get the idea.

You can shock weekly, it's your tub and your $$$$.

However, it really is better to read the sticky and just try and maintain enough FC commensurate with your CYA level.

But yeah, you can shock weekly ... even daily if that's your heart's desire.

I'd suggest reading the sticky pinned to the top of this forum.

Did I mention the sticky?

Reactions: Mdragger88
You can shock weekly, it's your tub and your $$$$.

However, it really is better to read the sticky and just try and maintain enough FC commensurate with your CYA level.

But yeah, you can shock weekly ... even daily if that's your heart's desire.

I'd suggest reading the sticky pinned to the top of this forum.

Did I mention the sticky?
I agree about the importance of reading the sticky. This is in the summary…sanitation section:
“Never let FC drop to Zero for any length of time. Keep it between 3-6 ppm normally, min of 1 ppm, and shock to 12 ppm once a week.”

I agree about the importance of reading the sticky. This is in the summary…sanitation section:
“Never let FC drop to Zero for any length of time. Keep it between 3-6 ppm normally, min of 1 ppm, and shock to 12 ppm once a week.”
Please understand the context,
The 12ppm is based on the assumption/recommendation of 20-30ppm cya earlier in the post.
the weekly “shock” may well be needed if you let the tub drop below min on any regular basis (which is 2ppm for a cya of 30)
The sticky is quite old (almost 15 yrs old) & needs a rework as a pool school article to align itself with the
FC/CYA Levels chart & all the tfp recommendations/revelations since that thread was posted by a member about how he cares for his hot tub.
For now, it is the best compilation for spa care in print on the forum, the general premise as whole is solid - use enough chlorine to keep the tub above minimum for your cya at all times.
If you’re lax about sanitation regular shocks will likely be necessary because things will present themselves like cc’s, smells, cloudiness etc.
If you’re on top of it all the time you probably won’t need to shock on a schedule to play catch up.
TFPC methodology is about testing your water & giving your pool/spa what it needs when it needs it, no more, no less & being as proactive as possible because playing catch-up is no fun.
TFP doesn’t recommend that you shock your pool on an arbitrary schedule either.

Reactions: Newdude
Please understand the context,
The 12ppm is based on the assumption/recommendation of 20-30ppm cya earlier in the post.
the weekly “shock” may well be needed if you let the tub drop below min on any regular basis (which is 2ppm for a cya of 30)
The sticky is quite old (almost 15 yrs old) & needs a rework as a pool school article to align itself with the
FC/CYA Levels chart & all the tfp recommendations/revelations since that thread was posted by a member about how he cares for his hot tub.
For now, it is the best compilation for spa care in print on the forum, the general premise as whole is solid - use enough chlorine to keep the tub above minimum for your cya at all times.
If you’re lax about sanitation regular shocks will likely be necessary because things will present themselves like cc’s, smells, cloudiness etc.
If you’re on top of it all the time you probably won’t need to shock on a schedule to play catch up.
TFPC methodology is about testing your water & giving your pool/spa what it needs when it needs it, no more, no less & being as proactive as possible because playing catch-up is no fun.
TFP doesn’t recommend that you shock your pool on an arbitrary schedule either.
Thanks! That is what was confusing me I guess. I do test my FC daily and after a couple of partial top offs, my CYA is down to about 35. I keep on top of my FC and don’t let it drop below the recommended amount for my CYA. So now I get that as long as I am maintaining my appropriate FC according to my CYA level, there’s really no need to shock every week. Phew!
As to filter maintenance, is there a filter cleaning spray we should be using on a regular basis? We’ve just been hosing off thoroughly and alternating between 2 filters, but I’ve seen some people mention using a spray on cleaner and also using a soak periodically.

Thanks! That is what was confusing me I guess. I do test my FC daily and after a couple of partial top offs, my CYA is down to about 35. I keep on top of my FC and don’t let it drop below the recommended amount for my CYA. So now I get that as long as I am maintaining my appropriate FC according to my CYA level, there’s really no need to shock every week. Phew!
As to filter maintenance, is there a filter cleaning spray we should be using on a regular basis? We’ve just been hosing off thoroughly and alternating between 2 filters, but I’ve seen some people mention using a spray on cleaner and also using a soak periodically.
I bought some in the past but really didn’t see a difference from just rinsing them. I also throw mine in the tub when purging then rinse them afterwards & that seems to be a frequent enough deep clean for me.

Nice catch :) --- there's a lot of good info in that sticky, AND, you instinctively knew what to flag to boot. Bravo!

• Haha
Reactions: WaldenTW5

I soak mine overnight in a mixture of water and OxyClean. Somebody on here did some research and found that many of the filter cleaners are mostly OxyClean.

I change filters (and soak the old ones) at each water change. I also do the same thing about 1/2 through a water change cycle. Otherwise I just rinse and replace.

AhhSome makes a spray cleaner for the tub shell, pillows, etc. It is safe to get in the water. It works very well for cleaning the waterline if you have to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To use the Ahh-Some Hot Tub Plumbing Cleaner as a shell cleaner to wipe away any residual sticky film we recommend that you mix one (1) teaspoon of the blue gel in a trigger spray typical bottle with water. Fill the water bottle first almost to the top and add the gel last. Let is dissolve, (warmer water will dissolve it quicker),
spray it on the film, wait 10 seconds or so and wipe away with a non abrasive cloth or old towel. When you refill the hot tub after a successful purge there may see brownish floaters for a day or so. Simply skim them off or just wipe them away from the waterline. After purging you will notice that the sanitizer demand will be lower and the water clarity will be fantastic. Unfortunately, many hot tub owners are hesitant to drain their hot tubs. These are typically the folks that are experiencing water maintenance issues and sometimes skin rashes. Purging the plumbing is like getting your teeth cleaned. It is not something we rush to do but the rewards are very beneficial.

Nice catch :) --- there's a lot of good info in that sticky, AND, you instinctively knew what to flag to boot. Bravo!
Thanks Methuselah…I’m trying! Lol. My husband calls me the mad scientist with my Taylor test kit and my Pool Math calculator lol. I believe that knowledge is power and I am known for over-researching everything. I just like to understand what I’m doing and why.

It's also somewhere in the instructions on how to purge using Ahhsome that you can mix some with water (I don't remember the quantity) in a spray bottle and use it to clean the shell.
Oh yeah…I think I remember seeing that somewhere. We have purged with Ahhsome once and I’ll have to look at their site to see if I can find that. Thanks!

Thanks Methuselah…I’m trying! Lol. My husband calls me the mad scientist with my Taylor test kit and my Pool Math calculator lol. I believe that knowledge is power and I am known for over-researching everything. I just like to understand what I’m doing and why.
That’s exactly why this forum exists! For Teaching you not only how to care for your own pool/spa but also why 😊

That’s exactly why this forum exists! For Teaching you not only how to care for your own pool/spa but also why 😊
And I sure do appreciate everything I’ve learned here!!

To use the Ahh-Some Hot Tub Plumbing Cleaner as a shell cleaner to wipe away any residual sticky film we recommend that you mix one (1) teaspoon of the blue gel in a trigger spray typical bottle with water. Fill the water bottle first almost to the top and add the gel last. Let is dissolve, (warmer water will dissolve it quicker),
spray it on the film, wait 10 seconds or so and wipe away with a non abrasive cloth or old towel. When you refill the hot tub after a successful purge there may see brownish floaters for a day or so. Simply skim them off or just wipe them away from the waterline. After purging you will notice that the sanitizer demand will be lower and the water clarity will be fantastic. Unfortunately, many hot tub owners are hesitant to drain their hot tubs. These are typically the folks that are experiencing water maintenance issues and sometimes skin rashes. Purging the plumbing is like getting your teeth cleaned. It is not something we rush to do but the rewards are very beneficial.
Perhaps it's something we should do more often?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.