Hello from a Total Neophyte in Richmond, VA

TangoOversway

Jul 19, 2019
Richmond, VA, USA
Just saying, "Hi!" to everyone. I've never lived where I could have my own pool before and now we have a large lot with an old barn on it. We're turning the barn into a recreation area and I'm going to be building a swimming pool near it. (So I guess that means the barn is also our pool house, as well.)

I'm looking at doing a lot of the work myself, or as much of it as I can. Digging it out won't be the issue, since I have friends with big toys and my own smaller toy or two. I'm not planning on rushing things - I'm more interested in doing it right than doing it quick.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Make sure to start a new thread in our Under Construction sub-forum once you get started. It will be nice to see that project develop.

Thank you!

I did just start this one about one concern I have: While we have a lot of space on the lot, there's pretty much only one place where I can put a pool, and that will mean trees nearby.

That's niggling at me, but I'm also reading some books on pool design and construction, too.

One reason I joined this board was from reactions I've seen to various posts. I spend some time search for pool forums. On one, there were several posts about DIY inground pool construction and they had no replies or very limited responses. On another, the responses I saw to such posts were mostly advice like, "You should hire someone to do it all." I get it - different people want to focus on different subjects. But here, I saw several posts about people building their own pools and other members were excited to watch the DIY projects.

That's what made me want to join here. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Texas Splash
There are "other" pool forums? Wha???

Welcome! This is a friendly place. I love watching the pool builds. I am only a little itty bit jelly :~}

Yes, I could easily see that attitude here - that people loved watching builds. That's the kind of place where I need to be. I've never had a pool and I'm designing and building one - and hoping to include a lazy river - mostly on my own. I have people advising me and telling me what I need to study or learn more about and that's seriously helpful, but it's also, always, a help to have a community to go to for help and advice.

Spend some time reading all the existing/older threads. I feel like I know at least something about some of the things just from lurking. I'm sure you'll glean way more since you're actually invested.

Insofar as your leaves issue, and I don't know much about inground pools really, but more than 1 skimmer might be something to look into. Maybe you can do lots (3 or 4??) skimmers? They work nicely to catch lots of things from the surface before they become too waterlogged and sink.

Spend some time reading all the existing/older threads. I feel like I know at least something about some of the things just from lurking. I'm sure you'll glean way more since you're actually invested.

Insofar as your leaves issue, and I don't know much about inground pools really, but more than 1 skimmer might be something to look into. Maybe you can do lots (3 or 4??) skimmers? They work nicely to catch lots of things from the surface before they become too waterlogged and sink.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I do - when I find a good forum, I look at older threads and see what's going on and what I can get from them. I'm sure I'll enjoy a lot of the build threads and probably get some good ideas from them.

My first thought has been the same as what you said - extra skimmers. Yes, I have no problem with that idea at all! (I love it when machines can do extra work for me!)

Reactions: frogabog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support