hello all, i am new to this forum and hope to get some answers to a few questions

Jbryant8880

Jul 9, 2019
South East Louisiana
my family is about to move into a home that has an in ground pool with a liner and a hot tub. the pool has not been maintained in a decade or so and we know we have a lot of work ahead. the land also has a spring on it that is flowing quite a bit. I have read some other questions and answers on this subject but I have an idea about it. so to divert the spring to the pool is easy enough so I wont go into that but I read that the water turnover in the pool may be a problem. if there is a drain at the deep end of the pool that is constantly pulling water from the low point and the pipe is vertical to just under the water level it should equalize and always be flowing. also at that connection is a T and another drain pipe with a valve at the end to use as the vacum line. can anyone see an issue with this? of course as long as the water is acceptable to use in this way. thanks for any input.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds as if your situation is not as conventional as most. Help me (and perhaps others) to understand so we can help. By water turnover, are you saying that the spring water will flow "IN" to the pool and then water will simultaneouly be exiting via the vertical pipe? Or will spring-fed water fill and remain in the pool once full and need to be chlorinated?

That is correct as the water will constantly flow in and out of the of the pool. In above th he water line say over a fall and out below the water line near the bottom being pushed up towards the water line. I believe in this way more sediment could be pushed out. Also maybe a vacuum could be attached there for larger sediment. Of course there would have to be modifications and money involved but first I have to figure out if it is possible.

I see a couple of issues. If this is a true "out of the ground" spring constantly filling into the pool and existing pool water drained it is going to be FREEZING cold. Even at the height of summer, much less on the shoulder seasons. I'd test the fill water to see if it had any issues. I'd also fill a 5 gallon bucket or one of those big Rubbermaid containers full of water to see if it were CRYSTAL clear. I'm betting it's not and you'd end up with an endlessly cloudy pool. If you are on a well or somehow restricted on fill water, I could see filling it with the spring water and then treating as a "normal" pool but for the most part sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Probably most importantly, "natural" pools don't really fall under the TFP umbrella.

correct I would like it to be a flow through pool. I understand that the water may not be as clear as it could be but I'm not totally worried about that. yes the water would stay pretty cold and that is an issue. I don't mean to waste any ones time or effort and this whole idea may not be worth it and we may need to go with the traditional way with this I am just trying to get some feed back from others that may have run into this before. the way I think about it the more people looking at a problem the more clear the group can make it. thanks for all of the feed back.

I think I would be worried about sanitation. Not all sources of water are "clean".

Maddie :flower:

Agree 100% plus tadpoles and even small fish coming in.

Water turnover is not a goal really.

Sanitizing the water is. Which results in water turnover via pumps in a normal pool.