Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
I plan on heating the pool with my Pentair MasterTemp heater with the cover on. What is the best practice? Leave the autocover on while heating then open? Or heat with the cover off. Just don’t want to mess up any water chemistry or cause any issues. First time pool owner and I have nightmares of water chemistry that I messed up before I found this lifesaver website!

Leave the cover on so that expensive heat won't go up in the air. Undercover heat won't affect chemistry enough to notice, if at all.

Your only worry might be the vinyl cover softening from the heat. It won't. (Unless climate change accelerates more rapidly than predicted, then you won't need to use the heater anyway.)

You’re in IL, you want to heat the pool? I’m curious when did you open? What is the water temp?

I ask only because here in the desert today my pool water was up to 88 degrees. I have an auto-cover which I close so I do not get the overnight evaporative cooling. When the air temp was 103 jumping into 88 was still refreshing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.