Heating a pool with no sun and no budget

We have had such a cold spell (at night) and some really cool days. I have 2 sets of solar covers. The first set (from 5 years ago) is cut 1' all the way around and there is still a lot of heat loss. I purchased a new/used cover for $40 and cut it perfectly to hug the pool. The water has not maintained 90 degrees during the day (not too much activity given the weather). This weekend I will remove, clean, etc. Thinking of trimming 1.5 feet from the insides as I have a nice long 4 ft' that sits in the middle. Having a cover in a few pieces is worth it.

Without the cover, the heat loss would be tremendous and the heater would run all the time (from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.), which is what I have it set for. Now, the heater runs only about 2 hours daily, and maybe a little more if really cold. Even with the cover, there is tremendous heat loss overnight, of 4-6 degrees. The covers work, but boy are they a real PIA to use. Within a week, the cover will come off until absolutely necessary. In July and August, there is enough latent heat outside that the heat pump works so efficiently that the cover is not needed.

Without a heater, one must have a solar cover unless they are in direct sunlight all the time. Unless the weather is so hot, then 75-80 degree water is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.