Heaters and chillers

Are you trying to heat year round, or just extend your season? If the latter, you might consider a heat pump instead with a combination heater/chiller. We have a Pentair 140 that works pretty well. It's pretty efficient, especially if you have low electric costs or pv solar.

Since they are in Austin i would say they are trying to extend the season. I did the samething. I have a heater for thr hot tub and pool. In fact i am heating the pool now. Electric rates in TX are not super cheap but natural gas is. Running a chiller in the summer can be very expensive in the summer.
Are you trying to heat year round, or just extend your season? If the latter, you might consider a heat pump instead with a combination heater/chiller. We have a Pentair 140 that works pretty well. It's pretty efficient, especially if you have low electric costs or pv solar.

Yeah...just trying to extend the season on weekends we are all here...I saw how big the glacier was and did hear it was pretty efficient...the good news is our equipment is out of site...so would you say the glacier possibly and a separate heater...versus the combination? Sounds like they work better if they are stand alone versus combined?

I don't know how the separate units work, other than a gas heater will heat a pool faster than a heat pump.

With the heat pump I was trying to heat on weekends, but figured out it works much better, and is much more practical to set the temperature and have it maintain. The warmer the water is the more efficient the heat pump runs, so when the water cools all the way down it takes a lot to get it back up again. Also, I resisted a solar cover for a long time because I hate them, but finally gave in because it cuts the overnight heat loss in half (and therefore the heat pump's power bill in half). The pump runs about 7500 watts of power use, and heats about a degree an hour, and ran 2 to 3 hours a day during the extended season. So if you know your power cost per kwh, you can figure that out.

This was our first year with it, and I did not need to run the chiller except to test it out, and it seems to cool the water coming out the returns considerably. We had a good 30 day stretch of 100+ degree days this year, but not the 110+ stretches we usually get, so our water stayed pretty comfortable without the chiller. So for us, given the not so often need for a chiller, I would not have bothered getting one standalone, but the small cost difference of a heat pump vs a combined unit made it make sense.

Our electricity is expensive but we have a good sized solar power system on the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.