Los Angeles, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I like the idea of a heat pump. I was hoping anybody could share some real-world experiences using one in Southern California or elsewhere. How early in the season can you start swimming and how late?

My average temps are below. I wonder if my average lows are where it makes the system less viable. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Average Temp.jpg

..... and for the first 10 degrees or so it is not happy about it. 65+ and it starts to shine over a gas heater. With a 14X18 you will probably be able to run it during the day and retain most of the heat with a solar cover from April-Nov. Most years you can probably stretch that into March and Dec with more run time (and a higher electric bill).

Is swimming going to be weekends only or closer to daily ? My Heat pump works great to it’s ability, but my schedule (kids) and the weather rarely lined up. We would have benefited from a gas heater that we could have just used when needed. If I spent $500 but used it, it would have been justified. With the heat pump I spent the money to heat the pool but if the weekend was crummy or cold, we didn’t swim.

..... and for the first 10 degrees or so it is not happy about it. 65+ and it starts to shine over a gas heater. With a 14X18 you will probably be able to run it during the day and retain most of the heat with a solar cover from April-Nov. Most years you can probably stretch that into March and Dec with more run time (and a higher electric bill).

Is swimming going to be weekends only or closer to daily ? My Heat pump works great to it’s ability, but my schedule (kids) and the weather rarely lined up. We would have benefited from a gas heater that we could have just used when needed. If I spent $500 but used it, it would have been justified. With the heat pump I spent the money to heat the pool but if the weekend was crummy or cold, we didn’t swim.
I appreciate the insight as it definitely paints it in another light. Is running the HP similar to running the AC in terms of power consumption?

Reactions: Newdude
Is running the HP similar to running the AC in terms of power consumption
It’s exactly the same but backwards. The heat pump in March will work hard (costly) like the AC in August. Similarly if you use the heat pump in June July and August it will be like using the AC in spring/fall. (Uses power but not terrible)

Is this because the air temp was too cold for the heat pump to work?

Is this because the air temp was too cold for the heat pump to work?
Yes and no. sometimes the heater was working fine but we didn’t feel like swimming due to the weather and other times we still wanted to swim but the heater couldn’t do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.