Hazy water + sunscreen on the surface. How long to see improvement?

mattbk

May 31, 2018
NY
Second year with a pool. No major problems last year. This year, dun goofed finally and not sure how to fix my first goof.

I have a rental home. I forgot to fill up the chlorinator with tri-chlor before 10 people partied for 3 days. Came back, water is hazy. Checked the FC, it was around 5 which is essentially 0 because my CYA is through the roof - I usually have my FC from 12-15. Dumped in all the liquid chlorine I had on hand (2.5 gallons), filled up the chlorinator. Checked FC 2 hours later and it was 23. 8 hours after I added the 2.5 gallons, water looks exactly the same and FC is still 23 (granted the chlorinator is wide open). Pool calc says my shock level is 34. Do I wait or keep adding chlorine even though it's not being used up?

1. How long until haziness shows signs of improvement?
  2. Do I need to get up to 34 FC to do anything at all?
  3. How do I get rid of the sunscreen?
Videos:
- oily skimmer
- oil slick

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
So, I have to ask, if you know your CYA is through the roof, why do you keep adding more from all the tablets?

You need to follow the SLAM Process and need to have an actual CYA level to know the required FC level.
If this is a rental that you are not able to maintain on a daily basis, then you should convert to a SWG to be adding the chlorine every day.

For the oils, you can add a scumball to the skimmer.

> You need to follow the SLAM Process

I've started SLAMing by adding all liquid chlorine I had. I then went out to get more chlorine but since my FC had not dropped, it seems nothing is using up the chlorine.

> You should convert to a SWG
It's on the list :)

Could just mostly be the "normal" haze that occurs after heavy usage. The higher FC levels should help if there is an pollutants. But, might just be a job for the filter to help clear up too.

No haze improvement yesterday after ~8 hours. Backwashed filter last night around midnight. Woke up to less haziness around 9am. However, no improvement to haziness since this morning (~8 hours). Backwashed filter again to see if that helps. If no improvement by tomorrow morning, I'll try a filter cleaner/degreaser. FC has only dropped 1ppm all day (from 29 to 28 which is within margin of error).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.