Hayward wide mouth skimmer double gasket question.

The last time I installed a Hayward wife mouth I opened the double gasket and fitted it around the cut out so part was inside the pool and part was outside the pool. I'm now reading through the instructions getting ready to install a new one on the new liner and it seems you install the gasket and faceplate then further on you get to there it says to cut the liner. This would suggest the obviously the first time I did it wrong but I would like to hear from you guys. Does the entire gasket go on the inside?

Last edited:
It depends on the type of gasket you are using. Fill the pool until it is a couple inches below the skimmer. If it is two separate gaskets then you install the gasket and skimmer before you cut the liner. Once The entire skimmer is installed you then you use a knife to cut the liner around the inside of the opening.
If it is a butterfly gasket then you need to cut the liner first. the gasket goes on water side of the liner and the outside of the wall.

It depends on the type of gasket you are using. Fill the pool until it is a couple inches below the skimmer. If it is two separate gaskets then you install the gasket and skimmer before you cut the liner. Once The entire skimmer is installed you then you use a knife to cut the liner around the inside of the opening.
If it is a butterfly gasket then you need to cut the liner first. the gasket goes on water side of the liner and the outside of the wall.

It's butterfly but I went ahead and installed it per instructions. Meaning before I cut the liner. It does seem wrong because water can possibly get behind the liner now.

I didn't fill the water. It's still a few inches below the skimmer so I can change it.
:brickwall:

It actually states: "from the outside of the pool install the faceplate double gasket at the skimmer cutout in the wall. Reach over the top rail of the pool and carefully press the faceplate and and liner against the gasket and skimmer cutout in the wall"

Then it it says screw it together then cut the liner.

I did it exactly how they state but it just seems like the liner should be inside the gasket.

Pell, I filled my pool to a couple of inches below where the bottom of the skimmer would be. I then installed it without the gasket, cut the liner through the faceplate opening, then uninstalled. Fitted the butterfly gasket around the opening, then reinstalled.

Easy peasy.

Reactions: Piteasee
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.