Hayward Turbo Cell Test and/or Replace?

Rebel86

Feb 26, 2020
Columbia, MS
Hi All,

Complete newbie here.....any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

I recently took over my pool maintenance needs, as opposed to having my local pool store handle everything for the last 4+ years. I have a 16x32 inground pool with a Hayward Aqua Plus system, paired with a Hayward T-15 turbo cell. The cell has not been replaced in at least the last 4 years (as long as I've lived at my current home) so i am not quite sure exactly how old the cell is but am sure it's at least 4+. Can someone please tell me the procedure for testing my salt cell and/or should i go ahead and replace it? How long does a cell generally last? Also, my pool holds approx 18,000 gallons of water.....and the Hayward T-15 is rated up to 40,000 gallons. This seems to be a little overkill for my pool size, would a Hayward T-9 (rated to 25,000 gallons) be more appropriate? It seems that the prices for a SWG online are MUCH cheaper online....as opposed to the price from my local pool supplier. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are any of the generic SWG's worth considering or would you stick to Hayward cell's only? Lastly, is replacing the cell and programming a fairly simple task?

Thanks much,

JY

Divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity as tested by a K-1766 salt test kit.

That will tell you how well the cell is performing.

Less than 75% means that the cell needs to be replaced.

The manufacturing date can be derived from the serial number.

For example, 3E15007
3 = 3 year warranty
E = cell
15 = 2015
007 = 7th day of 2015.

I would get the Hayward T-15 cell.

There's no programming necessary when replacing the cell unless you get a different size cell.

If you got a different size cell, you would need to change the cell size in configuration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.