Hayward Tristar VS 950 Pump Really Loud

The tag should look like this.

It is somewhere on the pump (not on the motor).

PumpTag.jpg

Register the product and then use your account to file a warranty claim.
Thanks, I finally found the tag.
The reply from Hayward was:
Please go to our web site hayward-pool.com and click on the dealer locator. Enter your zip code, select the product you need service on, and select product repair. This will bring up a list of local warranty centers in your area who can test the unit for you.
That's a lot of work to cut pipes, disconnect the wires, and remove the unit when my PB could be correct that the noise level is normal. :poop:

No need to cut pipes.

The pump has unions.

In any case, they can come out to the pool and check the pump in place, which is the best way to do it.

File the warranty claim and schedule a service visit.

No need to cut pipes.

The pump has unions.

In any case, they can come out to the pool and check the pump in place, which is the best way to do it.

File the warranty claim and schedule a service visit.
That's what I thought I did. I went to this page (Contact Us Residential | Hayward Pool Products) and click on "Contact Us." Is there a different way to "file a claim?" Because that's how I got the response to take my pump in to a service center.

You can measure the suction and return pressure and the flow to see if the pump is running on the head curve for the specific speed.

For example if the suction is 15 feet of head and the return is 45 feet of head for a total of 60 feet of head, then the gpm should be about 75 gpm at 3,000 RPM.

If the performance data is not correct, then there is an issue somewhere.

I did a brief search on Youtube for how to measure flow with a pool pump and didn't get a lot of answers. What is a practical way to do what you suggested and what equipment will I need to buy? Or is there a guide you can point me to?

Use the dealer locator and contact one of them to do a service warranty call to check the pump onsite.

Or, you can ask Hayward to assign someone to check the pump onsite.

Because that's how I got the response to take my pump in to a service center.
Did they say that you had to take the pump into a service center?

They will go onsite, but the labor might not be covered for an onsite visit, especially if they conclude that the pump is working correctly.

I would want an onsite visit to evaluate the pump as it is on your pool in case there is anything related to the installation or system.

Reactions: tstex and KJB1
I did a brief search on Youtube for how to measure flow with a pool pump and didn't get a lot of answers. What is a practical way to do what you suggested and what equipment will I need to buy? Or is there a guide you can point me to?
The filter pressure is the return head in psi.

Convert psi to feet by multiplying by 2.31.

For example, 10 psi is 23.1 feet of head.

You can measure the suction pressure with a suction gauge and convert to feet of head.

You can install a flowmeter to measure the flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure. The installer did say something about neoprene washers but the pump does not appear to be attached to the slab, just sitting on it.
I would say it’s from not being anchored. The pump itself sounds the same as mine but I do hear that vibration sounds. Motors vibrate and make sounds when not secured

Did they say that you had to take the pump into a service center?

They will go onsite, but the labor might not be covered for an onsite visit, especially if they conclude that the pump is working correctly.

I would want an onsite visit to evaluate the pump as it is on your pool in case there is anything related to the installation or system.
I have an open warranty repair for my pump. Hayward was super easy to work with. My pump was squeaking for a few days, of course it stopped now that they are scheduled to fix it. They told me it would only be denied and I would be charged a service call charge if it was obviously tampered with/ damaged. I offered to send a video and they said don’t worry about it, sounds like it needs a new motor.

I have an open warranty repair for my pump. Hayward was super easy to work with. My pump was squeaking for a few days, of course it stopped now that they are scheduled to fix it. They told me it would only be denied and I would be charged a service call charge if it was obviously tampered with/ damaged. I offered to send a video and they said don’t worry about it, sounds like it needs a new motor.
Got my pump motor replaced under warranty yesterday. Couldn’t have been easier, guy came and changed it out, no questions asked. Pump sounded normal when he was there before changing it. Said the new pump still has the same warranty, not like a refurbished model or anything. Very impressed with the Hayward customer service.

Last edited:
Sure. The installer did say something about neoprene washers but the pump does not appear to be attached to the slab, just sitting on it.
Not sure you are still on the forum...but the installation instructions says 10" of straight 2" pipe on the suction side. This could be the problem. This is on the installer not following the manufacturers guidelines, and might void your warranty.

I'm sorry I neglected to update the forum on the results.
The project/field manager initially setup the pool. I naively believed he knew what he was doing.
As I recall it took about 2 months but eventually the pool company owner (the expert) came out and looked at it and adjusted all of the valves where they are apparently supposed to be and now the noise is reasonable. I am beyond ****** off at them for making me go through ~2 months of dealing with this and trying to figure it out when it was just a matter of getting someone out there who knew what they were doing. But it's fixed now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.