Hayward SWG Low-Salt Inspect Cell Issue

Jun 15, 2017
Winter Park, FL
Greetings!

My Hayward AquaRite 900 SWG (T-CELL 925) is reporting low-salt and will not generate. Taylor salt drop test reports 3600, so appears something is up with the SWG. Cell was cleaned and soaked in MA solution, but problem still persists. Full test and SWG diagnostic readings below:

Test Results (TFT kit):
FC: 17.0 (been maintaining with bleach)
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH: 325
CYA: 60
BOR: 30
SALT: 3600
CSI: -0.46
TEMP: 88F

SWG Diagnostics:
88 temp F
27.6 cell voltage
3.02 cell current
100P (normally at 25-30%)
-1900 instant salt level
AL-0 program code
r 1.59 board revision
t-9 cell size
** recorded just after cleaning and pump turn on, cranked output to 100 to ensure SWG would attempt generation **

System has been reporting lower salt value than measured for about a month or two, but now appears to report too low that the system will not generate. Thoughts and advice appreciated as always!

First, verify that you're doing the salinity test correctly.

If the salinity test is correct, take the cell and a water sample to an authorized Hayward service center and have them test the cell and salinity.

If the cell fails, they should give you a new cell under warranty.

Last edited:
Understood, sir. My procedure is:

10 ml sample in Taylor tube w/ sample sizer.

Add stir bar, place on speed stir and start spin.

One drop of Chromate (R0630) indicator.

Add one drop of Silver Nitrate (R0718) at a time until mixture turns from yellow to red.

Multiply drops by 200 to get PPM.

Latest measurement was 3600 based on 18 drops to go yellow->red (not brown). Bottle is vertical, drops are about 1 per second.

I have maintained the pool this way since startup in 2017... rain slowly drops it down and when I reach ~3000 I'll push it back up to ~3600 with a 40lb bag. Cell has been reading reasonably close to taylor test until the last month when it has been consistently dropping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.