hayward super pump replacement

Hi Everyone,

Question. I will need to replace my Hayward super pump very soon. Bearings are going and 1 fin on the impeller has been broken off (previous house owners). With motor & impeller replacement along with new gaskets and seals the cost almost works out to the same as getting a whole new pump/motor system. $385 vs $450new

Given the replacement I am looking at alternatives, 2 speed or variable. I need to confirm my wiring situation first. Given I only run the system for 4 hours daily plus longer on weekends would it make sense to the cost of a variable system given i do not constantly run the system?

If so what brands are recommended? Filter is also hayward but heater is not (Generic brand)

Thx

I have a VS and only run it 2-6 hours per day but we have very high electrical rates ($0.30/kwh) so it is still worth it.

As for recommendations, about the only VS that has had issues in the Hayward EcoStar so you may want to stay away from that one. Also, some power companies give rebates for VS pumps but I am not sure they do that in Canada.

Do you have automation? If so, you would want to stick with the same manufacture.

So it looks like you have three options: repair, replace with 2 speed, or replace with variable speed.

Repair - I think your numbers are off here. Looking at Amazon, you could buy all the parts to repair your pump for about $200 (motor, impeller, seal kit). OR you could just replace the bearings in your motor and replace the impeller which would probably be around $60. I had your same pump and ended up replacing the motor once and the bearings once over the course of 7 years. Don't know how old the unit was cause it came with the house. Neither job is all that hard and you can find tutorials online. Just make sure to pay attention to how everything comes apart - take pictures/video as you take it apart.

Replace with 2 speed - I went this route the last time my SuperPump died. It's a more expensive option than repairing it but over the long run should save me money. The really BIG benefit I see to this vs the SuperPump is the two speed on low is really quiet. I don't even hear it until I get pretty close to it. I bought the Pentair SuperFlo and I really like it. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the strainer lid is a bear to get off and on. I literally use a stick of firewood to hit one of the handles to get it off. Other than that it seems to be a very nice pump.

Replace with variable speed - I don't personally see the need to go this route unless you have water features or would like to be able to program different pump speeds at different times. To me, it's a bunch of bells and whistles you probably don't need.

Unless you have automation, mixing and maxing brands isn't an issue (that I know of).

Thanks Mas985. No automation. We do have rebates in Canada, however in my area there is no program currently with our power provider.

Any knowledge around the Hayward Super pump variable speed 115V? As mentioned, I need to confirm my wiring first 115/230, but have only found this one variable speed that operated off of 115V. Both the Variable super pump 115 and 230 are same price at $1,079.

Hi Jobondur,

I am from Canada, so prices are a lot higher than the US. Motor was $249, Impeller was $60 + other items and taxes brought it to $385

Repair bearings, probably wont work for long as the metal casing on motor is rusting out, that is why i went directly to replace motor or new.

The Pentair Superflo VS will run on either 110v or 220v so you don't need 220v if you don't have it.

Really either of the Haywards or the Pentair is going to be more powerful than the 1Hp pump you currently have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Being from Canada myself, I've wondered this as well. I also have a superpump, but it's still working and there's no need for replacement. One thing to consider is that we don't run the pump year round like those from California/Florida. Our payback period for a VS over the lifetime of the pump (8-10) years is longer. Our electricity rates are also a lot lower, among the lowest in North America. Depending on how long your pool season is, I think it's worth doing this calculation before spending the money on a VS.

1HP superpump draws 1.4 kw/hr x 24 hours x 30 days x 6 months = 6048 kilowatts.
1.65 HP Pentair Superflo VS. can be connected to 110 or 220. Easy drop in replacement.

For sake of argument, let’s say you run it 12 hrs at 2000 rpm and the other 12 at 1000 rpm. Most heat pumps and flow switches can actually require lesser flow.

At 2000 rpm it draws .415 kw/hr = 4.98 kw over 12 hours
1000 rpm it draws .128 kw/hr = 1.54 kw over 12 hours
6.52 kw x 30 days x 6 months = 1,173 kilowatts

Say your average rate is $0.12 per kilowatt

Superpump costs $725.76 for the summer
Pentair VS costs $140.76

Thats a savings of $585 per summer. You pay for your pump purchase in two years. Should you have higher rates the pay off is quicker.

A variable speed pump is a no brainer.

1HP superpump draws 1.4 kw/hr x 24 hours x 30 days x 6 months = 6048 kilowatts.
1.65 HP Pentair Superflo VS. can be connected to 110 or 220. Easy drop in replacement.

For sake of argument, let’s say you run it 12 hrs at 2000 rpm and the other 12 at 1000 rpm. Most heat pumps and flow switches can actually require lesser flow.

At 2000 rpm it draws .415 kw/hr = 4.98 kw over 12 hours
1000 rpm it draws .128 kw/hr = 1.54 kw over 12 hours
6.52 kw x 30 days x 6 months = 1,173 kilowatts

Say your average rate is $0.12 per kilowatt

Superpump costs $725.76 for the summer
Pentair VS costs $140.76

Thats a savings of $585 per summer. You pay for your pump purchase in two years. Should you have higher rates the pay off is quicker.

A variable speed pump is a no brainer.

He said he runs the pump 4 hours a day plus longer on weekends. Let's say that averages to 6 hours per day over a week. Also our swimming season is 5 months tops. Open mid-late May, close in October. That reduces the kWh used by the superpump from 6048 kWh to 800 kWh / year. Using the same factors, though I'm not sure if that's valid, the VS would be reduced from 1173 kWh to 244 kWh. That's a difference of $66.72 per year.

I live in a similar climate, 30,000 gallon with a heat pump and SWCG. No way I can get enough heat or chlorine in my pool with only 4 hrs run time daily. I open mid April and close mid November most years. I wasn’t aware he was using a timer on his pump.

Thanks everyone.

Still weighing options on the pump but leaning toward replacement of the pump with same model. bigdaddyyc unfortunately its not just surface rust, the motor has significant rust on it, I believe the previous owners did not take care of the pool and parts very well. I also tend to agree with bigdaddyyc on the savings for a VS and the pay off.

Pool_medic, Yes my pump is on a timer. My pool as of yesterday was sitting at 86 degrees with heater run time same as my pump over the weekend. I use a solar cover and ensure pool is always covered overnight. Granted the weather over the weekend was abnormally hot for this time of year, however last summer was on the cooler side and i never dropped below 84.

Young kids use the pool the most, so cool water does not affect them as much. When the adults go in, I bump the heater time up.

Hi All,

So I have decided to replace my Hayward Super Pump with a 0.75 hp Pentair Whisperflo.

Question, I have no shut offs on my plumbing. Given this, do I just plug the skimmer and pool returns and remove the old pump knowing water will pour out or is there another option?? After plugging everything turn filter to waster and turn old pump on for a few seconds to discharge water in the lines?

Thx

I would just plug the skimmer and returns, undo the pump and replace. Yes there will be some water come out but not much. Trying to do as you describe won’t work as you have plugged the suction line and turning the pump on will just create an issue.

Question, I have no shut offs on my plumbing. Given this, do I just plug the skimmer and pool returns and remove the old pump knowing water will pour out or is there another option?? After plugging everything turn filter to waster and turn old pump on for a few seconds to discharge water in the lines?
Is the pump below the water line? If not, there is no worries.

If it is, then you should have valves to isolate the pool from the equipment. Otherwise, you would not be able to empty the pump filter basket or service the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.