Hayward pump union threads same as Extreme power?

willygee

Silver Supporter
Aug 24, 2020
central fla
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 10 year old Hayward Tristar 1hp 1.85 sf currently in use but want to pull and set aside for a spare. I would like to be able to slide in a 2 speed Xtreme Power without any replumbing...hoping union threads from existing will screw right on to the Xtreme power pump. FYI both pumps are 2" pipe.

I didn't take measurements, but I have a Sta-Rite (Pentair) Dynamo 1.5 single speed. I bought an ExtremePowerUS 1.5 two speed to take advantage of having two speeds and have my current pump as a spare on hand. This was the only 2 speed pump I could find this summer. It took a month to get it. Anyway, the outlet union threads were about 1/4 inch larger than my current pump and I had to use the internal threads to connect it. That was "bummer" no. 1 because I had hoped to be able to quick swap them if I ever had a problem.

Additional "bummers": When I disconnected my Sta-Rite, the gauge read 7 PSI. The XPUS read only 4 PSI on high speed. I was expecting the same 7 PSI. On low speed it squealed like it had bad bearings. I reinstalled my Sta-Rite and the gauge again read 7 PSI.

I returned it of course and more carefully read XPUS reviews after that and saw quite a few "died after a month" type reviews. The price was very low, but it seems the quality may match that low price. I also remember reading in at least one review a comment about the odd union thread size.

Last edited:
If the pump end is still good you could reuse it, get a repair kit and throw a V Green motor on there and have a VSP motor... then you would not have to change any pipes or fittings and still have the motor for backup :)

You will need to find the correct fit for your flange ( round or square) but the 1.67 motor would be a perfect fit for your pump end..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.