Hayward pool pump problem

Jun 1, 2011
Pump is plugged into gfci outlet and keeps tripping the gfci. Everytime push to reset pump starts and shuts right back off. Tried plugging in to extension cord to garage and it stayed running. Put new gfci switch in and it runs for a while and just randomly shuts off. If you flip the switch off and turn back on pump will not come on until you flip switch 2 or 3 times. Anybody got any idea? Could pump motor be bad?

I just had a similar problem with my pump. I discovered the GFCI breaker was tripped one day. It would trip the breaker the instant I tried to reengage it, even with the switch to the pump off. I took off the wiring cover to the pump and found some dust and other junk inside. I suppose it had a bug or something providing enough current back into the grounding that the GFCI didn't like it. I cleaned that out and the GFCI stayed engaged, HOWEVER, upon first power up of the pump, the run capacitor on the top of the pump blew.

SO... I'm not sure if it was the junk in the wiring housing, or the capacitor, or both. Either way, a cleanout, and an $8 capacitor from Amazon later and it is running just fine. (for now) Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.