Hayward motor failed after 3 years

jmcnyc

Jul 12, 2011
I replaced my pump with a Hayward c48k2n143b1 three seasons ago. This year when I started it up I found it was jammed. I was able to unjam it and it was noisy. The bearings were going. I let it run about 4 hours and it just died. Won’t turn on at all.

Question. Three seasons seems very short. Is this unusual ? I need to replace it but am concerned about putting In the same model. Any suggestions?

You should contact Hayward direct and see if they will make it right..3 yrs for a pump failing is ridiculous. A super 1.0 HP Pump should last WAY MORE than 3 yrs...

If they don't post back and give your specifications/requirements and go w a Pentair pump and get a VSP at about 1.5 - 1.75 HP, and run in more often w lower RPM's and you'll save immensely on your electric bill....good luck

Called and emailed into Hayward. Got the above response and PM’ed. No response from anyone. Going to move on the plan B and ditch Hayward. Can’t believe they stick by a product that fails after 3 seasons. Based on my research on the site much better options exists vs Hayward. The real pros on here seem to avoid Hayward. I will too and will ship my failed motor to them so they can hopefully improve their failed product.

jm, since you are the original owner of the pump, had it professionally installed by Hayward certified rep and pool opened by a Hayward certified rep, you would think that someone from Hayward would have at least responded ?? hopefully someone will still follow-up w you, but if not, I'd bail too

@tstex. You would think. I left a message sent and email and also got someone on this thread from Hayward who has not responded. The only response I got was from the email I sent and it was basically a “good luck, you on your own” response. See below:

Hi James ... That looks like a motor on an Super Pump. If it was put
in with a brand new pool with all hayward Equipment. It might have a
three year warranty. Purchased by itself it would only have a one
year warranty....
Regards John

Hayward Technical Services

Is it possible to replace the pump motor with a non-Hayward unit and still use the existing pump components? Can anyone recommend a replacement motor for this model Hayward c48k2n143b1?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.