Hayward Hseries Heater standby mode failure

mosset

Mar 11, 2014
Canada
Hi there I have a Hayward Hseries gas heater. Everything works and fires and heats up fine on it other than I cant get the heater to go into strictly "standby mode". When I cycle through the modes when it comes time to be in standby...its selects standby light and pool light...both on at same time.....I cant get it to jsut select standby. Is there a way other than killing the breaker to unit which Ive tried many times to reset this. I need it in standby to be able to change what i have saved for maximum pool temp setting. Would I have a faulty part if so suggestions which part? Thank you in advance.

I just ran into this same problem today. After cleaning some corrosion and spider silk caked onto the connectors and the display board, and replacing the 3 amp fuse the heater fired and ran fine with temperature regulation. But it will only switch between spa, pool, and pool+standby (not going into standby).

Bump for more help!

I know this is old but it is the only complaint about this I saw when googling the same issue and now that I have figured it out I will post the solution.

This was either a replacement of a rather old heater and/or done by a very old school electrician. Old heaters had something called a fireman's switch that would kill power to the heater if power to the pump was killed to prevent boiling the heat exchanger. New heaters use a flow switch to achieve the same safety mechanism. The electrician probably went "I have to many wires, well jam them somewhere"

Turn off power to both the heater and pool pump. Remove the electrical cover on the side of the heater by the two screws. Underneath the main electrical supply there is a line that says 2 wire control, 3 wire control. There is probably two wires going into there, usually smaller gauge and brown, but not necessarily. Remove them from the heater connection and join them with a wire nut. Put the electrical cover back on and start up the pump and heater, problem should be solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.