Hayward Ecommand4

Jun 25, 2010
Houston, TX
I have a Hayward Ecommand4 pool controller. The time of day clock doesn't seem to keep time anymore. I set if and for some unknown reason it needs to be reset again the next morning. Does anyone know if there is battery that can be replaced or if there is a circuit board that needs to be changed out. The unit is about 7 or 8 years old currently.

Not really familiar with this unit but I took a look at the operation manual
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/E-Command4HPC-4SeriesOperationManual.pdf

and found this on page 8
The ECOMMAND 4 is designed to keep the clock running during power outages lasting lessthan 7 days. If power has been off for longer than 7 days, then the time may have to be reset.

I also looked at the installation manual
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/E-Command4HPC-4SeriesInstallationManual.pdf

to see if there was anything about installing or activating a battery but found zilch

It either has a "button" type battery or a capacitor running the time circuitry.

I see that other Hayward automation products have a similar statement for the 7 day outages but no information on a battery for keeping the day/time

Have you tried contacting Hayward tech support on this?

That's what I thought too. I was trying to find a detailed wiring diagram to see what's behind the cover panel. Sometime this week I plan on turning off the power to the unit and popping off the cover plate to see what I could find.

That's what I thought too. I was trying to find a detailed wiring diagram to see what's behind the cover panel. Sometime this week I plan on turning off the power to the unit and popping off the cover plate to see what I could find.

I looked at my panel (not a Ecommand 4 but is a Hayward Pro Logic control system) and could not see any battery, either button type or otherwise so I suspect it is a capacitor maintaining a charge for the timer circuits. Look for a capacitor that either blew its top off or is deformed (raised center) or evidence of oil leaking.

View attachment SnagIt.pdf <<<< I think this is your board, I marked what looks like capacitors

Here are some links to articles on capacitor failure and how to recognize physical demoraties.

capacitor - Have I cooked my caps? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

Capacitor Lab - Visual Signs of Capacitor Failure - Bulging and Leaking

damage - damaged capacitor and/or power amp - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

I did another search to see if anyone has ever fixed this without a full board replacement without any luck, take some pictures of the board and post if you suspect something.

If you board is similar to mine there are a few brown capacitors and one black one under the display panel

edited to add: Looks like your board may not have the 2 large brown capacitors

I am having the same issue. Set the clock and a few days later the clock is about about 3 hours behind. There is also this thread with the same issue: Hayward Ecommand 4 Replacement?.
My pool is also 7 years old but I just acquired it when moving into this home 2 months ago. My local dealer mentioned I needed to replace the board: GLX-PCB-HPC4 which they sold for $515.

I can buy a complete unit here: Hayward HPC-4 E-Command 4 Controller - PoolSupply4Less

For $418. I am assuming that i could just buy this complete unit for $418 and remove my antenna from my old unit and hook it up on this new unit.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated even if it is "That's what I would do" as a new pool owner just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks!!

That's also what I did. I bought an entire new unit in 2015 and just used the motherboard from it. Lots of leftover parts, but quite a bit cheaper! I have had no further issues thus far. This appears to be a weak spot in the Ecommand4 unit as several posters have had the same problem.

I have the same issue on a unit that is only 3 years old. Since I'm not the original owner (just bought the house) Hayward won't honor the warranty. I've seen many posts on this same issue. Sounds like a manufacturer defect to me! You would think Hayward would take care of their customers! Instead of buying another board and having the same problem down the road I may just switch to another automation solution!

Mine is 3 years old and clock stopped. Emailed Hayward who said it has a 3 year warranty. Installations are extra. Called my pool company who said it was barely in warranty but would cost 125.00 for install. I went with that. My question would be why hasn't there been a class action on Hayward? This seems to be an ongoing problem with the same product yet they continue to sell it.

here's what i ended up doing. this guy on ebay has a business repairing these. He replaces the capacitor with a battery so it doesn't happen again! you send him back your bad board so he can refurb it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.