Bluffton, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Quick update. 15 yr baquacil user getting ready to switch convert. I currently have sand filter with a 1hp single speed. Pump is only a couple years old so it still is a decent running pump (hopefully still is, not hooked back up yet).

After the spring clean and conversion, I know I would have to change the sand anyways. Never had super clear water especially at night. With my 13,700-14,000 gal fiberglass pool, I am about to pop for the Hayward DE W3EC65A filter. Has anyone had issues with this filter? Once converted and stabilized, I plan to add a SWG system (again, brain melt on which device... haven't started to sort them out. favorites anyone?)

Adding this unit, I won't need to back wash as much and there isn't a multiport unit like the sand filters do. Also, spring clean I usually end up cleaning debris and dead worms right out to waste into the yard. I surely would not want to do this through the DE filter. He is my artwork for current setup and proposed, thinking I would need a couple ball valves or a 3 port valve directly off the pump.

Attachments

• Equipment Diagram.jpg
    Equipment Diagram.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2
I have the ec40 and think I am happy with it. The main chronic problem I've had has been a small amount of DE blowing through the filter but I realized I was pushing more than the rated 40gpm through it. I've reduced the flow this year and will see whether that resolves it.

If you're going to rely on a valve to shut off the drain port on the filter keep in mind that valve needs to hold water tight at filter pressure (5-20 psi depending your plumbing and pump) otherwise it will leak out your drain line. I have a crappy hayward union ball valve on my EC 40's drain port and it can't, I have to keep a threaded cap on it's outlet during normal use. Also it will need to tolerate being internally packed with DE.

Thank you for the input. I saw an owner online that had a 65 he was cleaning. Had a ball drain valve but also screwed in a plug and wonder why the double seal. Now I know. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.