Hayward Average Salt level Default

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
Installed a new hayward AQR-15. The average salt level has default 2800. What exactly does that mean? So it doesnt really read the salt level, it takes an average over some period of time? It read 2800 when I first installed it with no salt added to the pool. I added a conservative amount based upon the recommended levels and my Taylor kit reads 3400. generator still says 2800. The manual tells you how to recalibrate the the average salt level....again, not really sure what that would do eiether...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

It takes a while for the salt to fully disperse which is why they tell you in the manual to wait 24hrs after adding salt before turning the generator on.

It also doesn't give an exact reading, but an average salt level over the course of it cycling on and off as it generates.

When the cell is generating you can cycle through the readouts on the screen and one of those reading will be the instant salt reading which is and should be more closely to your actual salt level. That reading is what it averages over the course of it running to determine the average salt level.

On mine I believe it shows the salt in a negative reading. Mine showed - 3000 while it was on and generating this morning yet the salt readout was 2700. My actual salt level via the Taylor drop test is 3200.

It takes a while for the salt to fully disperse which is why they tell you in the manual to wait 24hrs after adding salt before turning the generator on.

It also doesn't give an exact reading, but an average salt level over the course of it cycling on and off as it generates.

When the cell is generating you can cycle through the readouts on the screen and one of those reading will be the instant salt reading which is and should be more closely to your actual salt level. That reading is what it averages over the course of it running to determine the average salt level.

On mine I believe it shows the salt in a negative reading. Mine showed - 3000 while it was on and generating this morning yet the salt readout was 2700. My actual salt level via the Taylor drop test is 3200.

JoeRJGR, what Jamison said is correct. With system in auto, keep going to instantaneous salt reading (-XXXX). Wait for the value to be steady or whatever value your test kit shows. You can then flip the auto switch to super chlorinate and then back to auto. This will reset the average salt reading on the main display screen to your tested value. It will drift slightly over time, but mine is relatively close to what I always test...couple hundred ppm either way is no biggie in my opinion as along as you have enough salt for the swg to function properly. I try to run my level around 3200ppm and let it drift down with rain/make-up water to 2900ppm, then add a full bag of salt to get me back to 3200ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.