Hayward AquaPlus operates intermittently

jboss

Oct 2, 2013
Lady Lake, FL
I have an AquaPlus controller with intermittent Comm Error 2 (nothing runs) and Comm Error 3 (pool runs but nothing displayed on local display) ... occassionally everything seems fine, but the wifi remote displays says "base not responding".

I believe it is a thermal issue (the transformer gets hot enough you don't want to touch it for too long) but not sure if that is a the cause (ie. bad transformer) or a symptom of a problem somewhere else that is drawing too much current. No fuses have blown or been replaced. ..are there thermal protectors on the board anywhere that could trip it off? ... are there any in the windings of the transformer?

I reviewed the "ProLogic: Troubleshooting video and performed diagnostics, results below --

While in faulted state, with power on:
Yellow to Yellow = 20-24VAC (good)

---turned Power off

Blue - White = 3 ohms (good?) ...supposed to be 2-2.9?
Violet - Grey = 2.5 ohms

--- turned Power on -- powered up and ran for 20 mins before faulting out again

Orange - Orange = 2VAC (bad) ... but something clicked while testing, voltage jumped to 24VAC and faults cleared
... waited for fault to occur again ... could not replicate low voltage condition on Orange - Orange, it read 24VAC in faulted state

Red - Black = 11 VDC
Local Display Pins 1 - 3 = 11 VDC
... pump started while testing pins, with local display disconnected.
... wifi-remote display showed pool temps Etc. as expected for about 10 minutes
... wifi-remote went to "base station not responding" ... pool continued running for 10 minutes then shutdown (all without local display installed)
... took additional readings while it was shut down ...
(assumed to be in faulted state
Yellow to Yellow = 24 VAC
Orange to Orange = 2.5 - 3.5 VAC (fuse tests good)
Red to Black = 4.5 VDC (not surprising DC out is low given AC into rectifiers is low)
Pin 1-3 = 10.9 VDC
... pump starts back up, Orange to Orange voltage remains at 3VAC momentarily, then returns to 24VAC.

(Note: Pump is an ECOSTAR VSP with no timers locally set. ... wifi remote display has shown VSP Comm Error for over a year, with no operational issues noticed (not sure if this could be somehow related)

I believe I have an intermittent ground or short somewhere, but not sure where ... I haven't seen any of the "...shorted" or "...grounded" errors on the display.

...if there is any way to get some further suggestions, it would be much appreciated ... over the 18 months I have owned the pool (new construction) I have replaced several main boards, several displays, at least one wifi antenna ... and continue to have sporadic issues ... I believe I have an underlying wiring issue that is causing parts to fail prematurely.

...can the transformer overheat? it is generally too hot to touch ... i’ve Never seen a transformer get this hot unless it was overloaded/failing.

Please help ... I’m tired if sinking time and money into this issue ...and my pool installer is no help ...just saves me time and costs me more money ... but still doesn’t fix it.

Jim,

Really sorry to hear of all the issues you are having, but since this is recent install, has Hayward Stepped in or what is the pool builders liability?

How long have the problems been happening? was it ever fully functional or did these problems just start immediately or intermittently

Since you have the ecostar, that's a problematic pump w known controller/drive/ issues. When I receive a this code [picture enclosed], it means the pump failed bc it tripped the 20amp GFCI breaker. If you see this code and the pump is running, it's bc you bypassed the automation controller but it is still programmed to run and it is not.

Bottom-line, unless you've taken a direct hit from lightening or the equivalent, you should still be under warranty for 3 yrs if you have a pool comp install this.

BTW, when you are referring to transformer, what are you specifically referring to? Also, all pool equipment is built and rated to be outside in the sun, wind and rain [not floods or under snow for 8 months, etc]

Pls provide some background on how this was working from original install date and what has happened till now...again, I feel your pain, but let's try to determine what is causing it and why?

Attachments

• pump-error code.jpg
    pump-error code.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the response! ... ill provide all the detail I can ... pool went into service in Sept 2016, everything worked great until July 2017, when i got a Comm 2 error and nothing worked (happened during a thunderstorm so i can only assume it was lightning). Pool installer spent a couple weeks troubleshooting and ultimately replaced Aqua Plus main board, ps-4 display, and wirless antenna. Seemed to fix everything for about 6 weeks. Then comm 2 error again. Pool installer came back out replaced everything again, but not under warranty this time, everything worked, but i had the VSP Comm Error from that point on. Other than the flashing check system message everything was fine ... until a couple of weeks ago ... during another thunderstorm, i got the comm 2 error again, pool installer was nice enough to install a “spare” board they had ... but everything has gone haywire since ... VSP Comm Error on Aqua Plus ... intermittent “low quality link remote lockout” on Ecostar, transformer inside aquaplus electronics cabinet gets ver hot, sporadic comm 2 and Comm 3 errors ... latest error, aquaplus controller seemed to think all was well and pool was running great ... except that pump wasn’t running ... i would have at least expected a no-flow salt generator off error or something. ... then I got a salt very low error (1600) ... so on the off chance it was runnin the chlorine generator with no flow, i shut it down at the breaker.

I think my initial issue was lightning ... it happened when house was relatively new and power company hadnt installed whole house surge suppressor ... they have since installed that, and i added a panel mounted suppressor on the pool panel and two ground rods on either side of my pool equipment. ... if replacing everything will fix it and it will last awhile i would do it, but given the trouble i’ve had, im not confident it will. My installer seems willing to send people out to poke at it, but they dont seem to understand what they are doing and just replace parts constantly and want to charge me for all of them. ...plus, i have no clue what they are doing or have done ... i know on at least one occasion theyset the timer on the ecostar, which filters the water but doesnt run the chlorine generator. ... my suspicions around the transformer are because the transformer and rectifiers in the aqua plus cabinet are pretty much the only thing they havent changed ... and i believe the Comm 2 issue is related to power issues. ... any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Good luck Jb, I hope it wks for you and keep us posted.

W the pool repair guys, b4 they replace anything, make sure they explain what they are specifically doing, what it will correct and why? Also, always ask to keep the old parts too.

Again, good luck

Update - replaced main board and transformer, everything seems to be working as it did before. ...only remaining issue is the lingering VSP Comm Error ... which seems to have no operational impact. ...im replacing the ecostar drive to fix the comm error ... my theory is there is an issue in the drive that is taking other things out. Ill update once that is replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.