Hayward Above Ground Pool Pump Hum Fix (not the usual impeller/capacitor fix)

rtstrider

Jun 24, 2019
Southeast
Hello fellow pool enthusiasts! I ran into an issue last night where my 4 month old Hayward pool pump would him and not kick over. After searching online the consensus was it's either a stuck impeller or a start capacitor issue. Well the impeller spun freely and there is not a start capacitor so I was left scratching my head. So looked at the copper contacts and saw a good bit of crud built up on there. I ended up pulling the plug and grabbing a stick to work that back and forth until it was free. Needless to say that fixed the issue! So then I started thinking what can I get to actually clean this....PB Blaster, WD-40....Nope. Reason is PB Blaster has the potential to harm the plastic and WD-40/PB Blaster will build up a film that will attract crud much faster over time! The fix...I'm headed to Lowe's to grab a spray can on electrical contact cleaner. Chalk that up to easy maintenance! Anywho I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else runs into this issue! Good luck and swim on!

Screenshot_20191004-101221_Photos.jpg

Reactions: gonfishin
PS Yes that's a cut piece of pvc on my power cord. We installed the power plug on the wrong side. That means the cord rests on the pump. I used a cut piece of conduit pvc to act as an insulator to keep the power wire from melting or shorting to the pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.